Brisket audition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisket audition

A guy at work asked me to do the brisket for his sisters graduation party in May. He's ate my leftovers many times but his dad is footing the bill and wants to sample it to see if it's worthy
    I don't even know if I'll have time, but he brought me a couple flats anyway to test out.
    These were heavily seasoned with Tatonka dust, will get smoked on Yoder at 225 til I decide to go to bed, hopefully they'll be about 165-170 and the bark will be right. Then they'll get vac sealed and into the Sous vide at 135 for 24 hours. Then they will get shocked in ice water, fridged overnight and sliced cold. Then will be resealed and held cold til time to reheat.

Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

OK it's bedtime, has smoked for 5.5 hours, temp in both chunks is 166. Sealed up and into the bath.

Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

Comment

Can't wait for the money shot. So far looks excellent

Comment

I dont get it Mike...Help me understand...
        You smoked it to 166 then sealed it and brought the temp down to 135?...Is 24 hours at 135 going to accomplish the same thing as cooking it to 185 or so to break down the toughness of the brisket? If so that's cool but I dont understand how that's possible...
        I'm going to wait and see how this turns out
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Seems backwards on the cook but I'm just an offset stick burner kind of guy. I guess the end result is the end result despite how you get there. Hope it all turns out well. Keep us posted.
          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

I don't know why it works but it does, it's not something new I'm doing, probably 7th or 8th time doing this way. Here's one to look at, the first one in this thread was done this way

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39506
            Yoder YS480
            Maverick 732
            Tappecue
            Thermapen

Comment

Yeah I remember that post...Didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now...But I wont argue with results...

I think I need to smoke a brisket
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

It be time at temp! The collogen will start break down at 130°ish, just takes longer - much longer. Butt ya don't over stress (tighten) the protein strands, they retain moisture that would have been expelled.
                Bad part, if I start this mornin I might have it fer dinner tomorrow... Well, day after. Gotta plan well in advance.

Nice doins BMikey, me hongry fer brisket now!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

At 165, I've got all the smoke and bark I need. The bath is just to tenderize it while keeping all the juices locked in. Honestly I'd feel comfortable with anywhere from 129 to 160, the lower the temp the longer it will take. For me it takes brisket to another level. Last week's traditional brisket was very good but it won't compare.
                  Yoder YS480
                  Maverick 732
                  Tappecue
                  Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikey View Post
                    At 165, I've got all the smoke and bark I need. The bath is just to tenderize it while keeping all the juices locked in.
                    Interesting.

Looking forward to seeing the results.
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

These briskets turned out absolutely perfect. I even impressed myself on this one so I have no doubt they will be pleased. Gave him 3 options, thick sliced, thin sliced and chopped.

Yoder YS480
                      Maverick 732
                      Tappecue
                      Thermapen

Comment

they look great

Comment

I'll take a bag of each please...

SV briskie

Or not...Points Nazis got me again...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks fellas, I can say with 100% certainty that this brisket was better than last week's traditional brisket. The taste and tenderness are identical but this one is amazingly more juicy.
                            Yoder YS480
                            Maverick 732
                            Tappecue
                            Thermapen

Comment

Bigmikey,

When's dinner?😀👍

Fab-o job::salivating

Comment

Working...
                              X