What Kind of Cure? ... And Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind of Cure? ... And Why?

I'm a Greenhorn to the sausage arena, but am in both feet, balls out, pedal to the metal, full speed ahead...... and all the other sayings, that is just my personality when I want to get into something & learn about it.

I have gotten a lot of great advice on the art of sausage making from several members here & have posted a few of the same questions on the "other" site, which pretty much just got "washed away" with no, or little response at all. So I really appreciate the tutoring & guidance that you all here have given me.

My next question in the the quest for Sausage Nirvana is what is the best Cure and Why?

I have Morton's Tender Quick at the house, but I am getting the feeling that I should be using something else? I don't know if this topic has been brought up before & sorry if it is in the wrong area, but would like to have some input on this from some veteran sausage makers..... Thanks in advance, Scott.
    sigpic

Read my last response in the elk thread Scott.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I feel the same at times fish. Tenderquick which is all I use and have had great results with can at times be on the saty side. I know from reading Prague powder or cure #1 would be my choice. I am sure you will get all the help WE need.

Comment

I like Prague powder, but that's me. I like it because I can adjust the salt to my liking. It only takes .04 oz of cure per lb of meat. so sodium is of little consequence, until I add it. Also, it's really all I've ever used. I tried TQ once with summer sausage, and it was freaking salty, but I didn't cut any salt from the recipe. So I think it was a little my fault.
        But all that said, IMO if sodium is a problem, then Prague is your only option.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          But all that said, IMO if sodium is a problem, then Prague is your only option.
          I'm with Gunny in this regard.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I did make a smoked-cured batch a while back & forgot to omit the salt in the recipe & cured with Tender Quick & it did turn out salty. I will remember to delete the salt next time if I do use TQ.
            sigpic

Comment

For smoked sausage use sodium nitrite ( Prague powder #1, or instacure #1) at the rate of 1 teaspoon for 5 lbs. of meat. For dry cure sausages you would use Prague powder #2. The cure is primarily used to prevent botulism poisoning while doing a long smoke under 170 degrees, it also adds flavor and the red (or pink) color to the meat. It turns a pork roast into a Ham!

dave

Comment

Originally posted by TxBigRed View Post
                For smoked sausage use sodium nitrite ( Prague powder #1, or instacure #1) at the rate of 1 teaspoon for 5 lbs. of meat. For dry cure sausages you would use Prague powder #2. The cure is primarily used to prevent botulism poisoning while doing a long smoke under 170 degrees, it also adds flavor and the red (or pink) color to the meat. It turns a pork roast into a Ham!

dave

Cant break it down any more than that... Thanks Dave!

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Curing

Good read right here.
                  Keith

Comment

Working...
                  X