I've got BLIGHT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got BLIGHT!!

Well I mean, my tomato plants have blight. I had heard a little about this prior to my plants getting it, however at the time my tomatos were progessing beautifully. Well in the span of approx 2 weeks my crop has been purd-neer wiped out. I have just done a little googling and found several articles on it. This stuff is bad news. Said to have been the cause of the devastated potato crop in Ireland many moons ago. There is a ton of info out there. I copied one link for you. Has anyone else had any experience with this? Check it out.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/ny...8tomatoes.html

My tomatoes plants haven't been doing worth a dern either. Planted 11 and pulled 3 already. Got less than thirty off the plants in 3 months. Worst year I have ever seen. Was looking forward to a bunch, as you were I'm sure !
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Heat got all our's....got one Roma in a container....bout 6' tall still crankin, they are small but good.
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

We've had it. As I understand it it's soil borne and a good way to prevent it is crop rotation and to water from the ground instead of from above. Supposedly, rain and sprinkling causes soil borne disease to splash up onto the plant. So we use crop rotation (probably the best defense) and soaker hose. Although we haven't needed to water our garden in over 2 years since mother nature has been so cooperative.
        At one time this part of Missouri was the leading producer of tomatoes in the country. Couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a cannery. So advice from old timers is always a good thing. They have said to take a piece of small gauge copper wire and push it right through the lower end of the stalks when they get strong enough to support tomatoes. I was very skeptical about this one, but it hasn't damaged our plants at all, so we do it too. And I believe that blight treatment is copper based.
        That's all I think I know. Or not.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          We've had it. As I understand it it's soil borne and a good way to prevent it is crop rotation and to water from the ground instead of from above. Supposedly, rain and sprinkling causes soil borne disease to splash up onto the plant. So we use crop rotation (probably the best defense) and soaker hose. Although we haven't needed to water our garden in over 2 years since mother nature has been so cooperative.
          At one time this part of Missouri was the leading producer of tomatoes in the country. Couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a cannery. So advice from old timers is always a good thing. They have said to take a piece of small gauge copper wire and push it right through the lower end of the stalks when they get strong enough to support tomatoes. I was very skeptical about this one, but it hasn't damaged our plants at all, so we do it too. And I believe that blight treatment is copper based.
          That's all I think I know. Or not.
          Tom.....forgot all about the copper. As soon as I read it, my grandfather did that, alway's had nice fruit. Now my FIL put's chain & old steel around his Pecan tree's to make them produce. Old way's the best......
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have had Septora Leaf spot, This year I sprayed every two weeks with Daconil no blight so far. My neighbours are heavily infected.
            Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
            X