Did I Ruin This Bacon?? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I Ruin This Bacon?? HELP!

Guys, I cured some bacon two weeks ago using cure #1; started the process 14 days from today. I usually use TQ but went with pink this time. I spread it over the meat best I could, but I am worried I didn't get it on to all the meat; some of the meat looks like one side cured and the other didn't. I want to smoke it today, but I am worried it might not be good.....Here's a pic to show you what I'm talking about. You can see where some spots are bright pink, and other parts aren't. Keep in mind I have brown sugar in here as well....

Please help!
    -Mike in Alabama

Why do we park in a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
    My DBS
    My Insulated Hybrid

I'm sure others with more experience than me will chime in, but that looks like oxidation to me. did you pull a good vacuum on the bags?
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

I did not seal them totally, never do. I have done this in regular ziploc bags before too. I pretty much follow Bear's posts on bacon to a tee.......never had this spot show up like this before.
      -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
      My DBS
      My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

kinda hard to tell from the pics, does it have a greenish tinge to it? Or is it more brown? The bottom corner of the one in the upper left looks a little green to me, and the fact that it's in the fat too, not just the meat makes me question my earlier answer. Hopefully someone with some more experience will come along shortly and have better answers for you.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Brown. No green..........wouldn't even question if it was green, lol!
          -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
          My DBS
          My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

probably alright then, but I'd wait for another opinion to be sure. Does it smell ok?
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Haven't opened it yet to find out.
              -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
              My DBS
              My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

so I opened the bags - no smell whatsoever. I cut off some of the pieces I was most concerned with anyway, but I think it'll be ok. No smell = good smell!!
                -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                My DBS
                My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Tell me your cure recipe
                  7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
                  Weber EX6 Smokefire
                  Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
                  90 Qt LOCO Crawfish Cooker
                  Everything else burned up in my house fire

Comment

I’m assuming you used salt as well? Attempting to use the SMALL amount of Cure 1 without a buffer..salt and sugar..thouroughly mixed in can result in uneven coating. From the pict... it looks like oxidation. Expected with oxygen present. Slice off a bit of the dark area..my bet is you’ll have the bright red/pink of cured meat under it.

It’s likely OK. Basically when using Cure 1..you need to make your own “TQ” mixing in salt..about 5 tablespoons per teaspoon... and sugar to ensure even dispersion over the meat.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

my cure recipe was pink salt, and some brown sugar......bacon was weighed, cure required for each was written on a paper plate for each piece, then I put the proper amount of cure on each plate. I did not mix it with anything, simply sprinkled it on the bacon and spread it out as best I could. So Ritchee, you saying I should have mixed the cure with the brown sugar, then spread it? I applied the brown sugar after I put the cure on.
                      -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                      My DBS
                      My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Oh, and also cut the pieces I was concerned with, and most had pink in the middle......what didn't have pink, I threw away. Wasn't much.
                        -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                        My DBS
                        My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Bkndsdl View Post
                          So Ritchee, you saying I should have mixed the cure with the brown sugar, then spread it? I applied the brown sugar after I put the cure on.
                          You should have mixed the pink with salt and the brown sugar. I’d put a decent coat of salt on those hunks and let rest another day or so before smoking.

Pink salt is used at the rate of 1 TEAspoon..about 6.25 grams per 5 pounds. No way to assure an even coating alone..and you need the salt and sugar to go with it for flavor. This is one reason why TQ is a great product. If you have trouble finding it I carry it, or usually you can get it online elsewhere as well.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Like Rich said, if you Dry cure with Cure #1 you have to mix it with Salt before you spread it, because it's humanly impossible to spread 1 ounce evenly over 25 pounds of Belly.
                            However since so many people think TQ is too salty, I wouldn't mix a TBS of Salt per pound of meat, because that would be the same as TQ. I would use 3 or 4 TBS of salt for every tsp of Cure #1 with 5 pounds of meat.
                            Can't really see the meat very good through the bags, but if you're worried about it being cured enough everywhere, you could hot smoke it to 140° IT in no longer than 4 hours.

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks guys.

I already put the meat to smoke; most all of the meat was pink all the way through, with the exception of one piece that had brown on one end and pink on the other, I cut that piece off and put it on by itself. However, it won't be to 140 before 4 hours, it has been on for 4 right now and the thickest part is 130....but like I said, it was all very, very pink except one piece on the outside. don't know what to do?
                              -Mike in Alabama

K.I.S.S. U.D.S.
                              My DBS
                              My Insulated Hybrid

Comment

Working...
                              X