I Think I'm Trying To Ruin This Batch of Dried Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think I'm Trying To Ruin This Batch of Dried Beef

I was experimenting, starting with Bear's Dried Beef process, but then slicing it and making it more "jerky-fied".*

Well, that was the plan, then things went awry.* I bought a mid-grade roast, but then forgot it in the fridge for a week. I trimmers off the brown, and the meat looked ok at that point.* I cut it in half, weighed them, and put them in a Ziplock with the proper amount of TQ.* They were flipped daily, but life got in the way and they were in the fridge 18 days instead of 10. Hearing you all talk, that is still a reasonable about of time. *I put them in my MES for 12-14 hours at 160 trying to dry as well as add some smoke, and it reached an internal temp of 130-140. *I pulled them and put them in the fridge for the day and went to work.

Here is what they looked like

Here they are sliced

Then I put them back in the MES for 2-3 hours at 160 with the door slightly ajar, trying to dry them more. *Here is the result

I'm a little worried I didn't get them hot enough and I want them drier, so I'm thinking about putting them back in the MES for another 3 hours at 200. *But that won't be until tomorrow night, at the earliest.

Did I say it seems that I'm trying to ruin this meat?

Either it's good or it's not. Roll the dice like you were in Vegas.
    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

With all that back in the smoker in sliced pieces again & again, you aren't making Dried Beef----That is full fledged Jerky.
      Looks like good Jerky, though.

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Yer cutting it a tad thick... that’s just a PITA to dehydrate. Why did you shoot the one hunk with a .22?
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Yer cutting it a tad thick... that’s just a PITA to dehydrate. Why did you shoot the one hunk with a .22?
          Hahahahaha

Comment

Working...
          X