Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt Crusted Pompano N corn onna cob on the Weber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt Crusted Pompano N corn onna cob on the Weber!

Pompano with the fins trimmed off and Salt lined the bottom. Bunch of fresh thyme in the belly.

All covered up with salt and ready to go!

On to the "Pizza" Weber @400° for 30 minutes.

And out the Weber, pic of corn on the grill didn't come out.

Breaking the "crust".

And plated, not a great pic buttttt! (Note to self, next time do not score the fish!)Was tasty but pretty salty, my bad - should have left the skin intact! Oh, with Cheese Grits!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Well, I'd hit that! I've never had Pompano before... just not around these parts. And yup, I think yer onto something by NOT scoring the skin...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yeah I cant catch fish like that here in Kansas

I bet it was good eating for sure...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Looks like some good eats.
        Jim

Comment

Too Salty might not be good, especially for me.

However that Plate looks Outstanding!!!-----

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

A little side note to this, and another note to meself, DO NOT LEAVE THE SALTED PAN OUT ON THE COUNTER OVERNIGHT! My female weimaraner got in to the pan last night, she been throwing up all day. Not even trying to get outside. giving her lots of water, lots.....and cleaning up. Again.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              A little side note to this, and another note to meself, DO NOT LEAVE THE SALTED PAN OUT ON THE COUNTER OVERNIGHT! My female weimaraner got in to the pan last night, she been throwing up all day. Not even trying to get outside. giving her lots of water, lots.....and cleaning up. Again.
              Oh major yuck! Hope she gonna be okay!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post

There are fish in Kansas?
                sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Mark, I like what you tried there. Pomps are great eating. Learned that from my grandfather.

As for the salt, you're right on the scoring. Actually caught up with an Alton Brown show the other night where he did a striper in salt. One day I will try it but he was careful to say it only works on certain fish.

In any event, for effort and truthfulness.
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Well, I'd hit that! I've never had Pompano before... just not around these parts. And yup, I think yer onto something by NOT scoring the skin...
                    Pompano is delirious, I just messed up. Got my recipes mixed up in me head, have another one for baked pompano without salt.

You have fish in Kansas? I don't think they go much farther North. Yup, Good eats!

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                    Looks like some good eats.
                    Thanks Jim.

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                    Too Salty might not be good, especially for me.

However that Plate looks Outstanding!!!-----

Bear
                    Was way too salty for me much less you! Thanks!

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                    Oh major yuck! Hope she gonna be okay!
                    She better now, I should know better. Her head is bout counter high so anything that smells like food is fair game....she paid for it this morning! She drank a lot of water and went out a lot, sleeping now.

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                    Mark, I like what you tried there. Pomps are great eating. Learned that from my grandfather.

As for the salt, you're right on the scoring. Actually caught up with an Alton Brown show the other night where he did a striper in salt. One day I will try it but he was careful to say it only works on certain fish.

In any event, for effort and truthfulness.
                    I've seen flounder, redfish, pompano and striper salt crusted. Usually really good.... Thanks Pete!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                      I've seen flounder, redfish, pompano and striper salt crusted. Usually really good.... Thanks Pete!
                      I've had striper cooked that way... really good. I've never cooked fish with that method... I'll bet bluefish would be good cooked that way... they are plentiful up here, as are flounder and stripers. Hmmmm....

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

1 whole 3-pound fish such as snapper, bream, sea bass or porgy
                        4 egg whites
                        2 cups kosher salt
                        1 bunch fresh thyme
                        4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
                        1 lemon, cut into wedges

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Clean and gut fish, remove top and bottom fins, scale and remove gills. Whisk egg whites to soft peaks and fold in salt. Place thyme in body cavity and set aside. Place 4 tablespoons of egg white mixture on a large platter, suitable for oven to table use. Place fish on top of mixture and spoon remaining mixture over top of fish. Place fish and platter in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. remove and strike crust to crack. Carefully remove salt crust from top of fish and divide flesh among two plates. Serve with good oil and lemons.

Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

Looks good from here Mark Daddy

Hope yoir dog gets healed up.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well we have fish in Kansas...Just not ones like that
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Well we have fish in Kansas...Just not ones like that
                              That swim...in water???? Naaaa, you got cornfish, they swim in a ball jar!
                              Mark
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X