Brat Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brat Questions

I know you folks can help me out. Wanna make fresh brats. I found this recipe somewhere. If I knew where I'd give credit.

Bratwurst Recipe w/ venison

I have made this before with veal instead of venison, which would be the classic brat, but the venison substitute worked very well.

7lbs pork butt
    2lbs xtra clean venison trim (can use veal instead)
    1 lb pork back fat
    2 cups soy protein concentrate (optional but sure makes them plump)
    1Tbs white pepper
    1 Tbs mace
    1 Tbs nutmeg
    1 tsp ginger
    4 Tbs salt
    3 eggs
    1 pint heavy cream

Grind meats through fine plate, mix all ingredients, stuff into 32-32mm hog casings. Refrigerate overnight to meld flavors.

Here's my questions. I'll be using some ground venison. All of our ground is mixed 66/33 Venison/cheap ground beef. I'll be grinding shoulder butts. No trimming. I do have about a pound of pork fat saved. Do you think I really need it or can I get away with 3 pounds ground venison? Opinions?

Also, it calls for soy protein. Can I sub this for powdered milk or even oatmeal? I know CA's answer, but same amount? Less or More? Opinions?

Would like to mix this up tonight and stuff tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RowdyRay; 09-05-2009, 10:42 AM.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

That is a smurf post of mine that I thought was lost in the crash. The recipe was based on one in the book "Charcuterie". The venison is a great substitute for the veal. I would say you could play with the fat content some. But with that said, these may have been the best fresh sausages I have ever made.

You could use the milk powder instead of the soy protein, or omit it altogether and it should be fine. Here is a pic of those sausages. Notice the rich purple flecks of venison and the pure white chunks of fat.
    Keith

Comment

Keith, did you stay with the 20% ratio of venison?? Seem a bit light to me. I would have thought 50% maybe...
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Well ken, the venison was a substitute for the veal. This recipe is more about the pig than the deer. The small amount of venison added a nice rich bit of leanness to the brats much like the small amount of veal that the original recipe called for.
        Keith

Comment

I guess its just me.. When I make venison links, its at least 60% venison. Since its the main meat.. The only links I can think of that I go light on is the dove sausage links.. I think it was around 40%.
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Think of it as a pork sausage flavored with venison, rather than a venison sausage flavored with pork.
            Keith

Comment

Thanks Keith. Think I'll try the powdered milk and 3 pounds of my ground venison. I think it should be fine.

Never added any other fillers before. Just wanted a second opinion.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

RR as for using ground venison I have had no problems. When I have done venison summer sausage or breakfast sausage I use 2 to 1, 2 being the venison. As for the powdered milk or oat meal I have done both and like the powdered milk better. When I used the oat meal it seemed to get harder to stuff as oat meal was sucking the moisture outta of my mixture. So maybe allow some more fluids if you use oat meal. As for casings I like the sheep better. A little bit more money but I just like em over all. The hog casings just seem to be a little tuff to me.
                If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                  RR as for using ground venison I have had no problems. When I have done venison summer sausage or breakfast sausage I use 2 to 1, 2 being the venison. As for the powdered milk or oat meal I have done both and like the powdered milk better. When I used the oat meal it seemed to get harder to stuff as oat meal was sucking the moisture outta of my mixture. So maybe allow some more fluids if you use oat meal. As for casings I like the sheep better. A little bit more money but I just like em over all. The hog casings just seem to be a little tuff to me.
                  Thanks. We do some other sausage that has a much higher ratio of venison. Figured it wouldn't be a problem. I was more worried about the powdered milk or oats. Think you've convinced me to go with the milk. Would like to at least try it once. Will be using hog casings only because that's what I have on hand.

I'm hoping to try a number of new recipes before hunting. Then I can vac up the leftovers and cook them while processing this year. Might be able to persuade the hunting party to make some new stuff. They're pretty hard headed, but it's a lot easier to do this stuff in bulk when we're all there.

Any other input is greatly appreciated.
                  S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

that's very similiar to the recipe I make.
                    and yeah oatmeal works great.
                    Don't add any extra fat (so lose the backfat and add extra lb butt or venison) - don't forget the eggs and heavy cream - plenty of fat there :-)

for 10lb of sausage I'd add 1 cup oats.
                    rule of thumb is 1/2 cup per 5lb meat and you don't need any extra fat added if you use oats.

the other thing I do with this recipe is add the eggs and cream in a food mixer. Gives a serious emulsion.
                    Also i've found if you use oats you don't need to be too pedantic about chilling everything down to keep the emulsion.
                    I've made it with mixture that's been taken straight from the fridge - nothing else chilled and mixed up while adding the cream and eggs.
                    these are my mums favourite - so they get made regular :-)

I've made them with venison and pigeon breast and with all pork - I'd defy anyone to tell the difference between the three, so no problem with using venison.

All I can say is try it without the backfat and with oats and see what you think. If it didn't work, I wouldn't do it :-)
                    And when people stop telling me that my sausages are the best they've ever had - I might look at doing it different lol

This batch used lean pork shoulder and pigeon breast - the only sausages I've made to date that contained buckshot lol Had to explain the bratty hunting season

This pics for gunny lol (I know he likes my grinder )
                    Add the oats before grinding.

Add the eggs and cream and blitz in food mixer

Stuffed and ready for vacpacking
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-06-2009, 07:27 AM.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

We have a few recipes that call for soy protein and we substitute Instant Cream of Wheat. The ratio we use is one full box per 100# of meat. I believe the purpose of it is to retain juices.

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        This pics for gunny lol (I know he likes my grinder )
                        Add the oats before grinding.
                        This is freaking hilarious. As soon as seen that CA posted sausage pics, I automatically looked for that cute little grinder.

Originally posted by Jimr View Post
                        We have a few recipes that call for soy protein and we substitute Instant Cream of Wheat. The ratio we use is one full box per 100# of meat. I believe the purpose of it is to retain juices.
                        I use soy binder from Allied Kenco and this is what they have to say about it.

Sausage Binder - 2 Lb. - Also Known As Soy Binder, Soy Flour, and Soy Grits

This ingredient is used to prevent weight loss and shrinkage to products being processed in the smokehouse, by helping to retain the natural juices (moisture) in the meat. This product also helps to bind the sausage together and can be use in meat products such as burgers to retain the natural juices from cooking out. Although not generally used in fresh sausages it may be added with good results. You should use the following ratios:

Smoked products -- Use binder up to 5% of the meat weight
                        Fresh products ----- Use binder up to 3.5% of the meat weight
                        All soy products have a high protein value. This gives soy its binding capability, allowing you to add water to your sausage for a more moist product.

Sausage binder weights out at about 4 oz. per cup so 4 cups would equal about a 1 lb.

Tom

Comment

the oats replace the soy. Bind and retain moisture better weight for weight (and they lower your cholesterol).
                          Plus it's an all natural ingredient and not some heavily processed compound. Probably also cheaper too :-)

You don't need to add water to sausage. If you use oats then none of the moisture in the meat cooks out, so it stays succulent without having to add any fat or water.

Fat and water are added to commercial sausages to make up the weight as both are much cheaper than meat.
                          Traditionally also fat was added to sausage to give high calorific content. But given the modern diet we just don't need to add extra fat to our sasuages.

This bratwurst recipe is seriously juicy - as all the cream and eggs is retained. hence no need for fat or any other liquid.
                          It's the nutmeg and eggs that give the distinctive and authentic german bratty taste. I grew up in germany and this recipe is the perfect bratty :-) You'd not get better from any schnell imbiss anywhere :-)
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I learned a lot and hope some others can by reading this too. I'll post my results.
                            S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                            X