Blueberry honey jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry honey jam

Well, as is typical this time of year, my blueberry bush is exploding and I was looking for something beyond blueberry pie (and muffins, and pancakes, etc.) to do with them and I came across this interesting recipe for small batch, honey-sweetened, blueberry jam. It looked interesting, especially since I love honey, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

The recipe is simplicity itself...

1.5 pounds blueberries
    8 oz honey
    juice of half a lemon (I didn't have any lemons so I used 1 tablespoon of lime juice)

Wash the berries, then add to a large skillet. Apparently a wide skillet with straight sides is best because we want the berries in a thin layer so the heat can penetrate quickly. More on that later.

Mash the berries well and mix in the honey and lemon juice.

Bring to a boil and reduce for about 10 minutes. When you draw a spatula or spoon through it, it should leave a clear trail for a little bit.

That's it, you're done. At this point you can store it in the refrigerator, or process in a water bath canner for longer storage.

The recipe makes 2-3 half pints of jam. I was able to get a pint jar and a half pint jar full.

Now, back to why you use the wide skillet instead of a pot. From what I read you need the berries to heat up rapidly, otherwise the pectin from the berries won't react correctly and the jam won't setup nice and firm. I suppose if you want to make syrup that would be fine. This is also the reason why it makes a very small batch. The original recipe warned not to try to double the recipe because it won't setup right, instead make several small batches and combine them.

Anyway, I love the taste of this stuff and will definitely make some more as soon as the next batch of berries from my bush are ready. I might experiment with some herbs in the mix as well. Maybe sage, or mint. Or maybe some lavender from my bush. We'll see.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

That sounds tasty. I love blueberries.
    Jim

Comment

I think I would seriously like that...
      Unfortunately without a bush of my own This would end up really expensive with store bought berries...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

that is weird as pectin generally isn't effected by how long you boil a jam.

Now if there were pictures, I'd give you some points :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Sounds great! Someone had sent me a jar of jalapeno blueberry jam once, stuff was incredible. Perhaps a little heat in your next batch?
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            I think I would seriously like that...
            Unfortunately without a bush of my own This would end up really expensive with store bought berries...
            I hear ya, they are dang expensive in the store, and quite frankly at least around here, don't have much flavor to them. Guess I'm pretty spoiled with what I have.

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
            That sounds tasty. I love blueberries.
            Blueberries are one of my favorite too. I was quite happy when we bought this house to find out it had a blueberry bush in the back, and it was a great producer.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
              Sounds great! Someone had sent me a jar of jalapeno blueberry jam once, stuff was incredible. Perhaps a little heat in your next batch?
              Ooo... I like that idea a lot!! Thanks!

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              that is weird as pectin generally isn't effected by how long you boil a jam.

Now if there were pictures, I'd give you some points :-)
              I don't really know that much about how pectin works so i'm just going by what the recipe said. Although I did find this from the university of kentucky:
              http://www2.ca.uky.edu/hes/fcs/factshts/FN-SSB.110.pdf
              The pectin in fruit becomes water soluble when it is heated. So for jelling to occur, the fruit must be heated. Too high of a temperature or cooking for too long can destroy the pectin, resulting in a poor gel.
              Doubling the recipe changes the length of time needed for boiling
              and can result in a soft gel.
              so maybe it's not the quickness of the heat itself, but the fact that you don't want it boiling forever to try to reduce the water content, and thereby destroying the pectin? Either way, I know that blueberries are a low pectin fruit and usually require added pectin and a ton of sugar, but this jelled up great and has no added pectin, though it does have a good amount of honey.

I'll work on getting you some pictures for next time
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Well guess what...I just came from the store with two pints of berries and a bottle of honey
                I guess I shouldn't have let Lena read your recipe
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Well guess what...I just came from the store with two pints of berries and a bottle of honey
                  We want pics!
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

You must be going to the garden for the jalops..
                    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                    Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber Performer
                    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                      You must be going to the garden for the jalops..
                      Yanno...Might just end up with some Thai peppers in the mix
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm thinkin' Blueberry Habanero sounds good.
                        Bet that would make a nice glaze for some spare ribs.
                        Jim

Comment

Yanno...Might just end up with some Thai peppers in the mix
                          Oh, now that sounds interesting! How'd it turn out?

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                          I'm thinkin' Blueberry Habanero sounds good.
                          Bet that would make a nice glaze for some spare ribs.
                          I was initially thinking habanero sounded good with this too!
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

We're making a batch right now...First time no peppers...Next time
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Sounds great! And I'd go for the jalapenos in it and spread over some cream cheese.

For the recipe, is 8 oz of honey weight or fluid oz?
                              Mustang electric smoker
                              King Kooker vertical gasser
                              Charbroil silver smoker
                              Earnhardt Jr smoker
                              Brinkman smoke n' grill
                              a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Working...
                              X