Quick study on the ECB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick study on the ECB

Looks like I may inheriting an ECB. Will be doing the mods to the coal pan and trying to learn how to use it by Monday (no problem right?)....So I can do ABTs and the like while the CG is FULL of back ribs. And maybe Burnt ends on the lower rack...

I know that I can get help here if I need it...
    Craig
    sigpic

I know Dude still uses one.. Been many moons since I have.. I'm sure he will chime in here soon..

Just start bad mouthing his Cubs... His ass will be here in a flash..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      Just start bad mouthing his Cubs... His ass will be here in a flash..
      He he he... A basket beats the pan mods, but the pan mods help ALOT. Good choice for ends...leave out the waterpan and use foil for the baffle...you'll get 300° reliably.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I figured the water pan would be filled with sand or gravel.

I got some things to change in my approach..as in smoldering chunks instead of live fire...I guess this is when Ill find out what most of you already know...
        And the minion method...I figure this is something Ill need to do...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Absolutly nothing to the minion method ,I was a little intimidated by it at first but tuns out so easy theres nothing to it.just place one tube of hot coals on topof the cold ones and leave it and forget it.
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Which kind of ECB are you inheriting? Hopefully a gourmet charcoal smoker. The bottom damper alone takes a lot of the headache out of running one. As Rich said, the charcoal pan mods help...but, a basket will help more. And as you already know...good thermometers are a lifesaver...especially on the little bullet smokers...

Good Luck and Good Smokes!

L8r,
            Eric

Comment

This thing is as cheap as they come. Not the gourmet. Brinkman smoke and grill. No air vents top or bottom. Thats alright cause there is plenty of gap around the lid.

Im ready to drill some holes and get it seasoned...A few dry runs should get temp controll down...I hope.
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

i use the gourmet, so my mods won't help you............

but THIS site will....................

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

W.D.'s link is a good one. this is the link i used to mod my craigs list ecb
                  try to go with a fire basket
                  the best mod is turning the legs around and adding legs to the frie pan this will make tending the fire easy
                  if you only do one start here

nothing beats the price of a free ecb
                  Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Looks like a great site dude but since I gotta cook on this thing TOMORROW I gotta figure how to control the heat...First I drilled holes and added a rack for the coals. Minion style ran for three hours without any help. However the temp fluctuated between 270-305...after 3 hrs. dropped to 260 then lower...

Figuring with no vents I gotta use less coals so I did.
                    Second dry run... In less than 30 min. temp is over 330... WTF...

Only thing in my favor is that all Im doin on this tomorrow is ABTs and other bacon wrapped goodies...oh yeah...burnt ends on the bottom rack...so temp runnin a little high wont be a big issue...but dang I thought these things were suppused to be so easy...

Help?
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X