Fire Died Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Died Out

Decided to do a Pork Butt overnite. Got the UDS up to temp at midnight went out at 6 am and the drum was sitting at 230 and
    the butt was up to 160. Wrapped it and went back to bed for a bit.
    Got back up at 9 and the UDS was down to 150 opened up another 3/4 port and shook the drum waited 15 min and it went down to 145.
    So I had to tear the grates out, stir the basket 3/4 of the basket looked untouched, wasn't choked with ash, stirred it up and lit some more coals and its going again
    Im working with Royal Oak lump in the red bag broke the big chunks up a bit o the basket packed nice.
    Twice in the last year I have had this stuff basically flame out with plenty of fuel left theres enough fuel in there for a good 18 hours
    why would it go out like that ?

My guess would be not enough oxygen ?? More air circulation ??
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

I agree with the air/oxygen idea. Also, I have found that if the humidity is very high the coals can be harder to light and/or stay lit in a smoker. I used to have this happen sometimes with my UDS but now I use the temp controller & all is good. It adjusts the air amount for me while I am out or sleeping.
      MES 30"
      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
      Weber 22" kettle
      E-Z-Que rotisserie
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Big Weber Gasser
      Cracker Smoker
      UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
        Also, I have found that if the humidity is very high the coals can be harder to light and/or stay lit in a smoker.
        This is important. Keep yer coal out of super high humidity/dampness. Off the concrete floor too, especially if it’s damp. Set yer bag of coal on the lid when you cook... it’ll help drive out moisture
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I can see your point esp if it was hard to light or hard to get up to temp but it was fine for 8 hours and just crashed

Comment

Originally posted by Dcb5739 View Post
            I can see your point esp if it was hard to light or hard to get up to temp but it was fine for 8 hours and just crashed
            Yeah..I suppose that IS strange. Hmm notice any rocks in the mix?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

No funny stuff at all. I stick the basket by hand i dont just dump it in. i have been trying to stick with lump as after Im done cooking I can snuff out the fire. Then the next cook i shake the hell outta the basket dump the good leftover in a bucket put some fresh lump in the basket and put the left overs on top. Hard to do that with these new generation briqs once they get that hot even if they didnt burn they just crumble. i figure with no waste lump is actually cheaper in the long run

Comment

Before I had my Auber controller on the UDS I used to use Kingsford Comp briquettes. I found the burn was pretty even over time which was to be expected given the uniform size of all of the briquettes.

When I switched to RO lump, I noticed I had to fiddle with the intakes a lot more to keep the temp even. Also expected due to the irregular size of the chunks.

I know one can try and bust up the chunks so they are relatively the same size but I never had much luck with long steady burns of lump in the UDS with no controller.

Now that I have the temp controller, long burns with lump are no problem because the fan will kick in if the temp drops too much.
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Which controller do you recommend ?

Comment

Auber controller
                    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                    Weber 22.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    Pit Barrel Cooker
                    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                    The Vortex

Comment

I use an I Que.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      This is important. Keep yer coal out of super high humidity/dampness. Off the concrete floor too, especially if it’s damp. Set yer bag of coal on the lid when you cook... it’ll help drive out moisture
                      Good luck with that here. I keep my lump in plastic buckets with the lid on. I don't have much of a problem with burning out, but I usually use the I Que.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Dcb5739 View Post
                        Which controller do you recommend ?
                        I have an Auber controller.

You will likely have to fabricate a mount for the fan. Here's how I did mine.
                        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ighlight=Auber

Many folks use the iQue 110 and seem to be happy with it as well.
                        https://pitmasteriq.com/products/iq110

The Auber will give you more detailed temp information but the high and low alarms can be a bit counterintuitive to set. The iQue 110 seems to be a bit more user friendly.
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          That was my very first thought...

Damp Briquettes
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

likely not the answer you're looking for but...

save yourself time and money and burn blue bag kingsford

Comment

Originally posted by bigun94 View Post
                              likely not the answer you're looking for but...

save yourself time and money and burn blue bag kingsford
                              Actually making it so you can use quality lump reliably is well worth the $$ IMHO.

Your taste buds will thank you.

Don't know how the supply is there but I can tell you that out here KBB is about the worst thing you could possibly burn in a UDS second maybe only to the contents of your garbage can.

KBB is okay for grilling when it is fully lit before the food goes on but in a UDS
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X