Buckboard Bacon advice, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckboard Bacon advice, please.

I'm going to smoke my first Buckboard bacon tomorrow. I've been massaging (for lack of a better term) the spices and cure into the roast once everyday for the last 6 days. Today it is very firm. Is this normal?
    Anyway, what's next? Just take it out of the bag and throw it one the smoker? What temp should I take it too?
    I'll post pics here if it's not a complete failure.

Tom

Gunny

I let my buckboard cure for 10 days then i rinse and soak it for an hour in fresh water then i smoke it with cherry wood until a temp of 140 i usually use the GOSM at a temp of 225but i have done them in the electric the gosm is quicker i also like hickory but i like cherry the best on the buckboard hope this helps

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Originally posted by salmonclubber View Post
      Gunny

I let my buckboard cure for 10 days then i rinse and soak it for an hour in fresh water then i smoke it with cherry wood until a temp of 140 i usually use the GOSM at a temp of 225but i have done them in the electric the gosm is quicker i also like hickory but i like cherry the best on the buckboard hope this helps
      Great of you to chime in dude. I always value your input.
      Do you think 7 days is not long enough? I used a cure recipe that called for 7 days of cure.
      I was going to coat it with coarse black pepper and smoke in apple.
      Is it normal for that roast to get really firm after 7 days of curing?

Tom

Comment

Hey Tom. I have only cured three larger cut's of meat. 1, Pork Butt, a Venison Hind 1/4 and a Pork Loin for CB, they do firm up. I brought them all up the consumable temp, but if you have sufficient fat and want to fry 140 would be my choice and a lower smoke temp.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
          Hey Tom. I have only cured three larger cut's of meat. 1, Pork Butt, a Venison Hind 1/4 and a Pork Loin for CB, they do firm up. I brought them all up the consumable temp, but if you have sufficient fat and want to fry 140 would be my choice and a lower smoke temp.
          Thanks Bud. I'm going to fry like belly bacon. So I was thinking 140. I'm smoking CB, a couple of butts, a brisket and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head. Hope I remember in the morning. So I am shooting for the typical 225 to 250° smoke.

Tom

Comment

Wow, Nice load. I keep saying this but I need a big load like that in my smoker real soon. Lookin forward to your pic's of the smoke..... have fun.

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
            Thanks Bud. I'm going to fry like belly bacon. So I was thinking 140. I'm smoking CB, a couple of butts, a brisket and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head. Hope I remember in the morning. So I am shooting for the typical 225 to 250° smoke.

Comment

Gunny

if the cure calls for 7 days go ahead and smoke it at 6 days should not be a problem i would still soak it for an hour yes they do get firm apple is a good wood for bacon sounds like your gonna do just fine

Comment

Originally posted by salmonclubber View Post
                Gunny

if the cure calls for 7 days go ahead and smoke it at 6 days should not be a problem i would still soak it for an hour yes they do get firm apple is a good wood for bacon sounds like your gonna do just fine
                Come back tomorrow night and see if I failed or not. I've always wanted to do this.
                I started this last Sunday, so actually it's been 8 days. At least that's how I counted it on my fingers.

Tom

Comment

But then again, sometimes it's not necessary to soak. I guess you'll have to be the judge of that.

QUOTE=Gunslinger;55311]Come back tomorrow night and see if I failed or not. I've always wanted to do this.
                  I started this last Sunday, so actually it's been 8 days. At least that's how I counted it on my fingers.[/QUOTE]

Comment

good luck it will be great

Comment

can't really go wrong - yep cured pork firms up.
                      I tend to take it to arund 150, but then I don't tend to do any further cooking on it.

Looking forward to pics :-)
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

gunslinger i got a butt ready to go on today what i do is rinse the cure off for a couple of hours keep changing the water bout 15 min intervals the this one is going to get a cbp rub smoke at 200° till it reachs 140° pull refridge for a couple of hrs or overnight then slice.
                        now take all this with a grain of salt as this is only my 2nd.
                        T.H. & the members here helped me alot on my first try and it turned out great.
                        Terry here
                        Still have Christene

Comment

I go 7 days per inch radius, Tom. Or did you inject it as well? 10 days for the average butt. Yes, they do firm up a bit, as you noticed some moisture loss I assume. That and some changes to the protien molecules add up to the firming up you noticed.

Apple is an excellent choice, cherry as well. 140's good for frying!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks guys. I did a fry test for the BBB and my CB this morning. Was fantastic even without smoke. I can't wait to taste it with smoke. I put it on a couple of hours ago with apple @ 250ish. We'll see what happens.

Tom

Comment

This is another really good thread with lots of helpful info! Thanks everyone!
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X