Bacon Anyone? I Got Plenty!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bacon Anyone? I Got Plenty!!

Today I smoked Buckboard Bacon and Canadian Bacon. It's my first time doing either one, and they both turned out awesome. So this will probably become on of those things we do all the time. I didn't take a lot of pics from the beginning because I was afraid of failing this one. So here is what I have.
    I used a dry cure for the BBB and a wet cure for the CB.

Buckboard bacon after smoking to 140°. I cured with a pretty basic salt (Prague) and sugar rub for 8 days, then brushed with raw honey and covered in coarse black pepper, and smoked in apple.

Sliced and ready to vac pack for a short nap in the freezer. I say short, because I ain't eating my belly bacon until I run out of this. If my wife and kids eat it, you'll see me on the front page of the local news paper.

Pork loins for Canadian Bacon after trimming and right before going into cure container.

Canadian Bacon here just after coming out of the smoker. Took this to 160 so I could eat it cold.

This is a little salty, so I'll have to adjust that next time. But all in all, very good and you can really taste the apple. I didn't use any additional rub or anything to coat the outside with. Just wanted it plain. I may try pepper next time or sugar. Nevertheless, here it is sliced up and ready for packing. Gonna have this with Eggs Benedict.

Thanks to all you guys that have posted threads on either of these types of bacon and to you guys that have helped either by a direct post or by PM. I really appreciate it. You guys are the best. And thanks to the rest of you for looking at my latest experiment.

Tom

Ahh nice cure on the BBB, Gunny. Sooo outta curiosity- what is the radius of that hunk?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice Work!.... All looks Great!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Ahh nice cure on the BBB, Gunny. Sooo outta curiosity- what is the radius of that hunk?
        That depends. I'm no math wizard so you'll have to help me out. How do you measure the radius of an oval? I'm guessing for the purposes of curing, you'd go by the widest part?
        I thought the radius thing was applicable to TQ and not Prague.

Tom

Comment

It's all about the nitrate penetration rate. Ovals are tough. I'd go with the MINOR axis, and add a day- as all sides are exposed. Now fat caps and stuff can mess with it. My rule: You can't overcure with the correct amount...only undercure.

Yours looks great...however, whatever, whenever.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            It's all about the nitrate penetration rate. Ovals are tough. I'd go with the MINOR axis, and add a day- as all sides are exposed. Now fat caps and stuff can mess with it. My rule: You can't overcure with the correct amount...only undercure.

Yours looks great...however, whatever, whenever.
            That makes sense. I'd guess it to be around 2 inches. Before smoking I did the fry test and it did taste like fresh, un-smoked belly bacon, so I assume it to be cured and it also had the classic pink color.
            As I said, this is my first one, and though the recipe I used called for 7 days, I'm not convinced it was perfect by no means. However, I must admit that I was afraid it would go bad. And when I removed it from the bag I thought my fear was realized when I noticed that my meat had turned brown. Then I remembered I used brown sugar and most of the color washed of. Next time I'll let it go an extra day or two, then maybe a little longer after that. Also I was trying out a new fridge I bought just for this purpose and was a little nervous it would fail me also. It's one of those scratch and dent things, so you know how that goes. I really do appreciate anything you have on this Rich. Thanks.

Tom

Comment

Man, great job on both Tom!! Did you forget to taste test the canadian bacon? Usually a nice water soak will fix it if its too salty after coming out of the cure.
              Keith

Comment

richtee you helped me a lot on this cure rate at 7days per inch so this time i cut the butt just a little under 2" and give it an 8 day cure.
                gunslinger your bacon looks great mines in the cooler now waiting for slicing will post the venture.
                Terry here
                Still have Christene

Comment

Check out my intro bacon post in the Bacon forum... I had some brownish edges too..and explained why...minor issue, sir! Well done!

Comment

Now I WANT some of that Eggs benie!

AWESOME, Guns.

Comment

Gunner, got'a say all turned out well. Hard to believe it's your first Bud. You got it spot on. All the best and well deserved...
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Just nice!...I gotta get my butt in gear & do the BBB.
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Nice work Gunny

Comment

Nice job on the bacon gunny

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                              Man, great job on both Tom!! Did you forget to taste test the canadian bacon? Usually a nice water soak will fix it if its too salty after coming out of the cure.
                              I actually did a taste test and soaked for 2 hours. I've been feeling kind of ill lately, so maybe it's just a problem with my taste buds. Wife and kids didn't detect over saltiness. Also since I quit smoking tobacco, I can taste all sorts of things.
                              You ever watch Hell's Kitchen? Them chef wannabees smoke like busted freight trains. How do they taste anything? Anyway

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                              Gunner, got'a say all turned out well. Hard to believe it's your first Bud. You got it spot on. All the best and well deserved...
                              Hmmmmm, kudos from a Canadian. YES!!!! You know technically since this wasn't made in Canada, I should call it Canadian style bacon.
                              Thanks guys for the comments.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X