Comp Qustion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp Qustion

Smoke Doc and I have a cook off this coming weekend.. Its a fundraiser, so there are really no rules.. Just cook it the best you can..

Rib category.. Should I go with Baby Backs, Spares, Or St Louie Style.. ?? Since the judges will be x-Dallas Cowboys, Rangers, And Media Peeps..

What would be a preferred bone??

I have done spares the last two years.. First year I was 5th in ribs out of 30+ teams and no where in the hunt last year 40 teams..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Trimmed up spares probably!
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

They need to define WHAT ribs. Not that there is a disadvantage as far as I'm concerned.

I want a straight bone rib... with a bit of gristle at the tip Just a BIT.

Them babies are all curled up and ..well..don't LOOK like a rib!

Sure they are a rib, but to me..a neat St Looie rocks.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Spares for comps for the reasons Rich said plus theres more meat and fat!

Funny only Michigan guys answered this...

Comment

Hmm missed this, but I hafta once again ( dunno why ) agree with Rich and Bubba. I would hands down do spares. St looies I prefer. Squared up trimmed up nice, cant be beat. My 2 cents

2 Weber Kettles
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
          Brinkman ECB
          Charbroil 940X
          Project UDS
          Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

I too would do the St Louie. BUT (and its a big one), make sure you can get a good, even rack of trimmed ribs. I have seen spares that once you've trimmed them, you may get only 2 or 3 good bones, the rest would be "tasters" (too small, not enough meat, not even, etc).

I'm starting to scratch my head lately over the spares I can find. Once trimmed to St Louies....... well lets just say I aint impressed.

Good Luck!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crewdawg52 View Post
              I'm starting to scratch my head lately over the spares I can find. Once trimmed to St Louies....... well lets just say I aint impressed.
              Yanno, that is a true statement. Inconsistancies and smaller sizes. Methinks they are taking the pigs to market younger than used to be. A bonus is a little less fat layer, but that can be cooked out. Those slabs I had for M.M. were pretty lean, and smallish. Got 6 outta the one slab tho...fairly even, but small.

Like I said tho...maybe the judges appreciate a smaller portion, and ate it all :{)
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                They need to define WHAT ribs. Not that there is a disadvantage as far as I'm concerned.

I want a straight bone rib... with a bit of gristle at the tip Just a BIT.

Them babies are all curled up and ..well..don't LOOK like a rib!

Sure they are a rib, but to me..a neat St Looie rocks.
                I agree Richee, hy fav for sure.
                Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                Ducane 4100 propane grill
                Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

did the previous years winners have "fall off the bone ribs"?
                  are any of the judges real Q people?
                  do they expect the bones to slide out like the blade bone of a pork sholder?

maby they are "typical" rib eaters
                  if any of these are YES, spend a little more time in the foil. comps may not be about the best ribs. they are about making what the judges want. the reason i say this is i suspect you make a pretty fair rack of ribs
                  Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

i have said for years spares give you more meat, but kept getting slapped down by the BB fans...............

*sigh*

but i also trim my own...........to a st luie cut

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by PreacherRodgers View Post
                      did the previous years winners have "fall off the bone ribs"? I do not know what placed. I would need to contact the teams that placed..

are any of the judges real Q people?
                      I doubt it. The judges the last two years were X Pro Players.. So trying to hit there taste buds will be hard, some like heat and some like sweet..

do they expect the bones to slide out like the blade bone of a pork sholder? I am sure that will be a plus. Most backyard cooks feel that is the way to go..

maby they are "typical" rib eaters
                      if any of these are YES, spend a little more time in the foil. comps may not be about the best ribs. they are about making what the judges want. the reason i say this is i suspect you make a pretty fair rack of ribs

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                      i have said for years spares give you more meat, but kept getting slapped down by the BB fans...............

*sigh*

but i also trim my own...........to a st luie cut
                      Not me brother Dude... I am a spares fan..

Looks like I will be doing Looie style this year...
                      Ken

Comment

Spares trimmed to st louie style for my .02 worth. The southern tribe has spoken!!
                        www.nopigleftbehind.com
                        -----------------------------

Comment

best of luck

for our last church pot luck i glazed my ribs with a brown sugar and apple juice to give a sweet hit right at the front. what i did was disolve as much sugar as the juice would hold. i bet (i did not measure) there was 3/4 cup sugar in 1 cup of juice give or take. maby combine that with a hot rub. who knows what they want
                          Please ignore all spelling errors and typos my pet monkey does all of my corespondence

Comment

Ken, if you've never tried it look at amazing ribs dot com. great little site and I've used Craig's Pig Candy recipe...really good.
                            www.nopigleftbehind.com
                            -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
                              Ken, if you've never tried it look at amazing ribs dot com. great little site and I've used Craig's Pig Candy recipe...really good.

I have.. neat site.. I am going with Louie Style this year.. Also, I will have my laptop and wireless card... So streaming will be a must..
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X