A Couple of Turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of Turkeys

After stuffing ourselves with the breakfast fatty and armadillo eggs, I got the turkeys in the smoker.

I forgot to take pics of preperation. Since these were "enhanced", I didn't see any reason to brine them. But, it was a great opportunity to teach my son how to inject a bird. We injected them with some butter & herb marinade.

I had not seen these birds before hand. Son got them from work. They were bigger than I would have liked, but I just changed the game plan. The GOSM can reach higher temps. So I put in a mix of apple and cherry, and turned it up to 350. After 2 1/2 hours, I rotated racks and stuck probes into the thigh area. 146 and 148. Looking good.

Two more hours and they hit 170. I pulled them out, covered up with foil and threw a couple heavy towels over them right on the table. Threw in some Portabella caps stuffed with crab and cream cheese, and ABTs with cream cheese and cheddar. (camera died for those)

The juices just ran out of it when I sliced it up. A light smoke ring, but very good flavor. Everyone enjoyed it and we've got lots of leftovers for some really good eating.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Great looking color Ray. Smoked turkey is the bomb.. And the leftovers are great as well.
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Mmmm... Those be some purty birds!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks. It wasn't easy. It was 10 below when I got started. The gas line actually froze while making the fatty. I turned the valves back and forth and it took off. I made it through without any more problems. Had me worried though.

I can't wait to make some creamy wild rice soup with the leftovers.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

them birds look awesome Ray! You fed them kids well now didn't ya?

I bet the grandson liked the chicken!
          Great thread!;)
          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Need to get a bird out, that looks good.
            ________
            Weed vaporizers
            Last edited by Smoke Doc; 04-19-2011, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X