Books For Sausage Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books For Sausage Making

As a newly founded sausage making addict, what is essential reading & to have on hand for referrence? Interested in both fresh & cured. THanks!
    sigpic

the one
    the ONLY

Ryteks Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing

make sure you get the fourth edition.............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thanks DUDE, do you have a date on that one, I was going to order that from EBAY or Amazon. Appears to be a few different ones. Or just look for the fourth addition on the cover?
      sigpic

Comment

some links for you

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

this next link is a must have

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/

and another GREAT book, that to me is a must have........

Mike Ruhlmans Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Thanks DUDE, do you have a date on that one, I was going to order that from EBAY or Amazon. Appears to be a few different ones. Or just look for the fourth addition on the cover?
          2008 the REVISED 4th Edition

check a local book store..........its a pretty popular item, and they may have it already in stock

Comment

Amazon has a special deal to buy BOTH the rytek, and rhulmans

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-...d_bxgy_b_img_b

just make sure you get the fourth edition...........the picture in this link, shows the 3rd edition

Comment

I have read the Kutas book, it has a wealth of good info and recipes. I have not bought it yet but I do have a library card.

I am sure I will buy it one of these days.
              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

I agree with Steve... I have the 4th edition.. good read.. Here is a ebook I have on sausage making.. You more than welcome to download and print it off.. It really helps with some of the basics..

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  I agree with Steve... I have the 4th edition.. good read.. Here is a ebook I have on sausage making.. You more than welcome to download and print it off.. It really helps with some of the basics..

yeap, i have this one also DL'd

just need a grinder to get back into it

oh, and a stuffer too..........lol

Comment

Thanks for the input, I think I will order both on Amazon as Dude "linked" me too...

Ken, I did print out the Ebook quite a while back & have read the print off it, so now I need an update Thanks for providing that.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Ken for the book.

I have a noob question... If your on a limited budget and want to get started, you guys who are all seasoned, what would you order in addition to the grinder and stuffer? larger tubes than what come with? a med grinding plate??? What would you do different than what came with your first intial setup??
                      Thanks boys!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

BBQG, I ordered both a grinder & a stuffer from Northern Tool. The grinder came with 3 different size plates & also came with the stuffer attachments & 3 different sized tubes. That said, I would have been good to go for both grinding & stuffing with just the grinder & the attachments that came with the grinder for stuffing........ After lots of reading & questions & answers from the vets, it's apparently A LOT easier having a separate stuffer. But then I came from making sausage via the JERKY SHOOTER, which is a step above stuffing meat through a garden hose, not a big step, but still a step.....

TRUE STORY: The first time I made sausage, my method of stuffing the tubes was through a piece of PVC about 10 inches long, with a cut off broom handle for my plunger. That was about 20 years ago, I was not married with kids & I am pretty sure there was LOTS of beer involved...... Or that kinda even sounds like it mighta been a hard liquor fueled night, but it worked
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                          Thanks Ken for the book.

I have a noob question... If your on a limited budget and want to get started, you guys who are all seasoned, what would you order in addition to the grinder and stuffer? larger tubes than what come with? a med grinding plate??? What would you do different than what came with your first intial setup??
                          Thanks boys!

I you are wanting to get in on the ground floor and dabble in it making very small batches.. You could start out by buying ground beef and pork from the store, that way your not spending any upfront cash on a grinder. And you can pick up a jerky cannon really cheap to use as a stuffer.

Save your coin till Northern has there grinder & or stuffer on sale.. Then you can get them at your leisure.. And always keep checking craigslist for deals..
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            Thanks Ken for the book.

Thanks boys!
                            Kelly, if you can get the grinder that Fishawn is talking about from Northern on sale, it will definitely get you started. You can always get the stuffer later.

I and others have the same one. Mine ground about 25# of meat this last weekend. Made 3# of Chivapchichi, stuffed 10# brats and about 5# of mortons into casings. It's a little more work stuffing, but that's why my son and I did it. Easier with two people. Never skipped a beat.
                            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

just checked.........the grinder 100 bux, the stuffer 80 bux, with free shipping

making your own sausages.............priceless.

Comment

Working...
                              X