SV Chocolate Candy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV Chocolate Candy

I typically make my annual order of some peanut butter meltaway candy from my favorite candy maker in Pennsylvania, but this year I decided to give it a shot myself. I have a few candy molds and some good quality chocolate in the pantry so why not?

First I melted some 60% dark chocolate in a FS vacuum bag in the microwave then put in the SV water bath at 90° for tempering. I gave the bag a squeeze every minute to help form the right crystals. I poured the molten dark goodness in the mold and swirled around to get a good covering before dumping the excess back into a bowl. The molds went into the fridge to harden while I made the innerds for this sweet delight.

I mixed 50% by weight peanut butter and white chocolate and threw the mix into the microwave to melt. I massaged the bag until everything was mixed properly then piped the sweet PB goodness into the cooled dark chocolate shells in the mold until about 3/4 full.

I put them back in to the fridge to set up and went back to the dark chocolate that was in the SV bath and massaged it every minute for 5 minutes. I piped the dark chocolate over the candy completing the candy bites and let them rest for 30 min in the fridge.

I popped the goodies from the molds and they looked pretty good if I do say so myself.

The first batch had a textured sheet put into the mold for decoration and the second batch in the other mold used a snowflake transfer sheet.

They have a sweet creamy smooth peanut butter filling with a hard semi sweet dark chocolate exterior.

Thanks for lookin!

An excellent use for the SV...
    I wish I could try some of those great looking treats...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Those are some tasty lookin' treats, AJ...

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      An excellent use for the SV...
      I wish I could try some of those great looking treats...
      You're not planning to fire up the rotisserie now, are you Craig???

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
        Those are some tasty lookin' treats, AJ...

You're not planning to fire up the rotisserie now, are you Craig???
        Yes I am...And no I"m not...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Nicely done AJ!

Pro job
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, those look awesome. SV would be an ideal method for tempering chocolate...

Can you expound on the tempering process...I know it's about generating a crystal structure in the chocolate that produces a smooth glossy sheen, but that's about it. Does all chocolate temper at the same temp? Is your mold a silicone mold that you can pop the finished candies out of?
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

that is a brilliant idea. If anyone has ever had chocolate seize on them, you will totally understand my excitement!!!!
              Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Thanks Guys!

BBQE,
                I took the melted chocolate and held it at 90°F for the tempering. I massaged the bag every minute for 15 seconds or so to act as the mechanical action to set the grain of the chocolate. I let it hold at 90° for 5 minutes with the massages every minute and it worked great. The end product was nice and hard at room temp, has a shiny surface, and of course tastes great. The chocolate I have says the temps are as follows:

Type - Melting - Tempering - Working
                Dark --- 58° C --- 29° C ----- 31° C
                Milk ---- 48° C --- 28° C ----- 30° C
                White --- 48° C --- 27° C ----- 29° C

The molds I used are hard plastic with magnets to hold a plate on. This also allows a transfer sheet to be used for added bling to the candies. They are made by Fat Daddio. I have the Indented Corner mold, the Deco Rectangle mold that I used for this project. I also used this textured sheet on the larger pieces.

One tip is to dry off the bag of chocolate before pouring/piping the chocolate. Water and chocolate do not mix. It will not set up properly if there is any water in the melted chocolate. I just nip the corner of the bag and use a clothes pin to keep it out of the SV water.

Comment

This is a pretty good lesson in chocolate tempering.

Comment

AJ, love the looks of that! I never thought of using the SV for this purpose... Great job!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Those look Great, AJ !!----

Pretty too!! I like the designs!!

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                      X