SNP Mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP Mods?

I have the SNP Pro and am about to inherit some slats from a steel garage door when the neighbor changes his. Is it better to do one plate with drilled holes or several different sized moveable tuning plates? What's the recommended height for the convection or tuning plates above the bottom of the smoker for smoke flow?

Also because I'll have pieces of steel slats long enough to run the complete length of the smoke chamber, would it be worth considering moving the stack and turning this into a reverse flow or isn't there enough draw on these puppies to make it worth while? If I make it into a R/F would I still drill holes in the convection plate? With a 35 inch smoking chamber, how much opening would I leave beyond the convection plate to make it a R/F?

I've already seen the posts showing both the convection plate and the tuning plates, but don't know which works best. When I make the baffle to direct heat from the fire box, I'm going to hold it in place with a couple big magnets that I have to make it east to remove for cleaning.

I know, there's lots of questions here, but at the moment, this is my biggest smoker and I can't afford to buy another if I mess it up. But I DO need the added smokin space that's just too hot near the fire box.

Seems the sideways plates are the best way to go, due to their adjustablitiy.

Dunno about a RF- not alot of area under there for the draw, but then again, has anyone tried it?

Magnets... you may be in for a surprise there. Extreme heat will destroy most magnets, turning them into an annealed slug of metal.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Whoops! Guess I don't go that route then do I. LOL And here I thought I had a great idea goin'. Well then, maybe I'll screw a couple clipboard type clamps above the baffle to hold it in place.

I gotta get these mods done before January. My neighbors dad has lots of hickory trees on his farm and he's promised me a truckload of hickory if I smoke a venison haunch and some other cuts for him.
      Last edited by MichChef; 09-10-2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
        he's promised me a truckload of hickory if I smoke a venison haunch and some other cuts for him.
        Try a ham outta the rear deboned haunch...deeelicious! Easy to cure too!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Try a ham outta the rear deboned haunch...deeelicious! Easy to cure too!
          Well, if'n that something he wants then I'll be lookin' your way for a brining recipe for venison haunch.

Comment

Well then, maybe I'll screw a couple clipboard type clamps above the baffle to hold it in place.
            How thick is the steel? I made my baffle out of 1/8" plate and it stays in place by itself.

Just cut the sides kind of curved so it sets in place.

It's kind of a tight fit and takes a little wiggling to get it out but if I turn it just right, it comes out okay.

On the plates, I did sideways strips

but I would be curious to see how the convection plate with the rows of holes works.

I figured if I made it so that it could slide under the baffle and didn't run the full length of the cook chamber, I could slide it from side to side to adjust the heat. I made the drawing but then built the drum and never got around to having it made. I may at some point though since I am still curious as to how well it would work.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Hey Dave,

The whole top of my smoker doesn't open up the way the one in your pic does. Mine has about a 1-2 inch lip with the door taking up the whole center of the smoker. So I couldn't hang it over the edge of the door lip to cover the firebox opening. I'm OK with mounting a big clamp there to hold it in place.

I have no idea how thick the steel is yet. The old door hasn't been taken down yet, but I'm guessing thinner than 1/8 in.. I may be wrong though.

If the garage door panel is wide enough i may try making a convection plate out of it and if it don't work it won't be any great loss because it's scrap steel anyway. There'll be plenty left to make some tuning plates out of.

Comment

The whole top of my smoker doesn't open up the way the one in your pic does. Mine has about a 1-2 inch lip with the door taking up the whole center of the smoker. So I couldn't hang it over the edge of the door lip to cover the firebox opening.
                Mine doesn't hang over the door lip. It just lays inside the cook chamber. But you're right. With the different lid, the way mine is set up may not work for you. You have one of the heavier built ones.

If I could find one of the older heavier SnPs with the lid like yours, I'd snag it in a minute. The newer Walmart models are too damn thin for my liking.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                X