Practice run for Christmas dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice run for Christmas dinner

I have been wanting to try SV cooked prime rib. I bought one of the recent SV Bluetooth sticks a week ago and since I had a couple small boneless PR roasts from my last rack of wet aged ribeyes, I thought it is perfect time to do a test run.

Since it is just the 2 of us eating I don't make a large roast. This one is a 2.25 pounder. I liberally coated the roast with Mad Hunky Just Add Beef and added a pad of butter to the bag and left it sit for a couple hours to marinate.

I set the stick to 130°F and added the bag of meaty goodness. I gave it 6 hours in the bath before pulling and prepping for the crusting.

I half filled the Vortex and got the charcoal going while I captured the juices and dried off the roast. I made some gravy from the drippings for the mashed taters.

I gave the roast one minute per side for each of the 4 sides over the Vortex.

Yep, you guessed it, perfectly cooked mexium rare from edge to edge. It was tender without being mushy and tasted great! Anyone want to stop by for Christmas dinner?

Thanks for lookin.

Oh my....
    Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Perfection!
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have one of the original Anova sticks and it heats the vessel up a lot quicker than this one does. Also the water does not seem to circulate as quickly as the original stick. Not sure if that matters or not, just pointing out differences.

Comment

AJ, that looks perfect! I have one of the original Anova sticks as well. It is rock solid and has never let me down. Great job brutha!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

My nipples just got all tingly and hard Wow!

Pleased yer happy with the JAB flavors :{)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That looks great!!!

Bet it was wonderful!!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Wow, thanks fellers! Yep, this was a great meal. I vacuumed the leftovers and will reheat with the SV later this week for round 2.

Comment

The first time I heard of SV cooking, it just didn't appeal to me at all. No interest whatsoever. But after a few years of seeing stuff like your exquisite prime rib, I'm wondering if I should ask Santa for one.

Great job Bro!!
                  sigpic
                  "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
                  Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
                  UDS, Viking grill

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    My nipples just got all tingly and hard Wow!
                    Sounds like squirrel...
                    Originally posted by Tomshoots View Post
                    The first time I heard of SV cooking, it just didn't appeal to me at all. No interest whatsoever. But after a few years of seeing stuff like your exquisite prime rib, I'm wondering if I should ask Santa for one.
                    Get one. You won't be sorry. Just ask Craig...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Sounds like squirrel...
                      Just being honest. Channeling?
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I would call the practice run a success. If you want to test again, just let me know what time dinner is and I will be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's an awesome looking piece of Prime Rib.

Comment

The practice run was successful, so I went for it for the Christmas dinner. I did raise the SV temp a few degrees to 133°. Not much of a change in the end result. This one sat in a vac bag coated in MH JAB for 3 days and some butter. Again the sear over the Vortex and the juices added to a pack of brown gravy mix (that was awesome!) over some green chile mashed taters. Some buttered grilled corn to add to the carb list and a couple crescent rolls (yeah from the tube) to top it off.

Last night we finished off the leftovers and it was just as good as Christmas day.

Comment

Working...
                            X