Cold Smoking then Sous Vide Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Smoking then Sous Vide Prime Rib

Got an Anova Sous Vide from Christmas. I was going to Smoke a couple of 3 bone Prime Rib Roasts for New Years Supper.
    Was thinking of Cold Smoking them for a couple of hours, sealing, and refrigerate overnight then Sous Vide for the cook.
    Any suggestions on this plan? Should I lightly season the meat before Cold Smoke? (Salt and Pepper)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never done a cold smoke. I can't see why that wouldn't be good. What I usually do is salt and pepper, and make a blend of fresh garlic, good olive oil, finely chopped rosemary and smear that all over the roast. Vacuum bag it and into the bath at 134 for about 10-12 hours. Remove from the bath and into an ice bath. Remove from the bag(s) and coat with coarse ground black pepper... Oh, and reserve the juices for au jus. Get coals going on the grill, and sear it. It is WAY yummy.

Serve it up with a mix of fresh ground horseradish and sour cream...

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by HawgHeaven; 12-28-2016, 09:29 AM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That method sounds very interesting! Just might try it. I always use the rosemary and garlic olive oil salt pepper on slow cook at 225' till medium rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The high heat sear is gonna be important. SnP sure.. watch other seasonings before SV. One issue..you can’t really get a good herbed crust, which I love. SV will turn it to mush and the sear will destroy it.

Alternative: SV with SnP to rare- maybe 125..., then hot smoke after seasoning.

That’s my input.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've done 2 prime ribs in the SV. Both went about 11 hours. Temp was 136 ( my mom wanted somewhere between med rare and medium). After the bath, I wrapped in towels for a rest. 15 minutes or so. Unbagged and used juices for au jus. Dried off then one I applied olive oil and the other an egg white coating then reapplied my seasoning. Into a preheated oven at 500deg for 10 minutes. olive oil
          egg white
          this was a SV'd 35oz bone in ribeye steak seated on the grill to finish it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            The high heat sear is gonna be important. SnP sure.. watch other seasonings before SV. One issue..you can’t really get a good herbed crust, which I love. SV will turn it to mush and the sear will destroy it.

Alternative: SV with SnP to rare- maybe 125..., then hot smoke after seasoning.

That’s my input.
            Valid points. I use the oil, rosemary, garlic and SnP for the seasoning, then a heavy coating of CBP before the sear. It gets a decent crust.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Cold smoke, sear, and bag. Follow these directions with the addition of smoke
              sigpic
              Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
              -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
              -AMNPS
              -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
              gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

You can't go wrong with any of theses suggestions.

For a PR, if I'm not doing a flat out smoke, then it's:

SV, sear, rest, eat.

I like a good crust/bark and one down side is that it doesn't happen with SV.
                Pete
                Large BGE
                Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

That’s pretty :{)
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                    You can't go wrong with any of theses suggestions.

For a PR, if I'm not doing a flat out smoke, then it's:

SV, sear, rest, eat.

I like a good crust/bark and one down side is that it doesn't happen with SV.
                    Yeah, butt it is done perfectly from end to end, no matter the thickness variation of the roast. Re-apply the oil, rosemary, garlic mix and do the pepper rub, then sear. It's gooood! When I move it around on the grates, I use gloves, no mechanical apparatus to damage the bark.

Christ, now I gotta go buy a prime rib roast... again...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      Yeah, butt it is done perfectly from end to end, no matter the thickness variation of the roast.
                      You don't need SV to achieve that.

From my grill, Xmas, 2012
                      sigpic
                      Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                      -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                      -AMNPS
                      -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                      gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                        You don't need SV to achieve that.

From my grill, Xmas, 2012
                        Beautiful nice, butt, I like the SV when the mood strikes. I don't use it all the time, and also turn out good stuff without it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                        X