Anova Infant Mortality - Looking for a new Sous Vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anova Infant Mortality - Looking for a new Sous Vide

So I had a fun thing planned with the Sous Vide over Christmas. I went to the drawer and grabbed it...it powered up but was unresponsive to key presses. In pressing a little harder, i heard the display snap. It sure as hell doesn't work now. So since it was already dead, I thought I'd do some testing of my own...I did a calibrated acceleration and deceleration test from a height of just over 6ft. It performed wonderfully during the acceleration portion of the test, launching with little resistance, but the rapid deceleration at the bottom of the trash bin proved too much for the Anova. It blew apart into a bunch of pieces, and the connection from the base unit to the element cracked and took a permanent set in an awkward position. Based on my testing, I officially classify this as a PIECE OF SHIT! It died in the drawer...I would classify it as infant mortality since it has had little use.

I haven't used it a lot, but I see the method as a useful tool that I will employ...it is a good thing to have in my tool belt. Gonna have to find a new and more robust unit. Maybe the ARY Vacmaster SV1? Seems to be a little bit more durably built and I know Wingman got this one...or one from Gourmia?

The results of my testing:

Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 11-16-2018, 10:57 AM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

You engineer types have a different way of calculating what's trash and what's not
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Valid testing method IMO. But then again I am an engineer as well.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That Blows!
        Hate shit that does not last. I have the Gourmia fixed appliance unit, so far so good, only used about 6 times though.

We need more stuff that "thrives on neglect"
        sigpic

Comment

Well....since I learned more from my dad and granddad university than I did collage.

My back backyard version of sous vied heater.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...hlight=cummins

I have dabbled in this whole water bath thing and glad that i have expanded my knowledge. Some work OK and some not so.

But this is stuff i had laying around so cost was minimal other than time......and the older i get it seems my time is not as worth as much to others as it use to be........

And replacement parts are pretty easy to find locally.

Comment

Only used on Friday nights...

If it helps at all, Dana, I found this nice first gen sous vide unit on ebay, real cheap...
            Attached Files

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
              If it helps at all, Dana, I found this nice first gen sous vide unit on ebay, real cheap...
              Jerky roller included!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Some how I just knew that this thread of someones misfortune would turn into one of good solid advice, humility and humor.........

Sorry for your failure Dana...

Comment

As an owner of a Vacmaster SV1 I can tell you that my experience with the unit has been nothing but a good one. I have used the hell out of it. It's gone with my to feeds off site and been bounced around a bit in the back of my FJ. It heats water quickly and will heat and manage up to 8 gallons of water. It's also super quiet. Does it connect to your phone via Bluetooth... No... To be honest I'd never use that functionality. I turn it on and set the temp. It beeps when its heated up. I then hit the run button and add the food to be cooked. After that I have no need or desire to have anything to do with it until the cook is finished.

I did a review on this a while back.
                  http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=vacmaster+sv1
                  Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                  Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                  SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                  Yoder Wichita
                  Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                  Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                  Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                    Some how I just knew that this thread of someones misfortune would turn into one of good solid advice, humility and humor.........

Sorry for your failure Dana...
                    No worries. I knew there would be some silliness involved as I even considered if I would post this thread. But I have broad shoulders and can give as good as as I get. Really, my point of this is to let this serve as a warning to others on the 1st gen Anova...the display / touchscreen is a weak point. When it wouldn't respond, I just applied a little extra deliberate pressure above the selections and I hear "SNAP" and then half of the screen was black. Now, I realize that I can be a bull in a china closet and I am notorious for twisting off bolt heads and stripping jar lids, but I wasn't being rough with this and I sure as hell didn't abuse it. It had it's own spot in a drawer...it was as well cared for as it could have been without it being wrapped in bubble wrap and foam. Also, my house is climate controlled...I guarantee it was in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

I agree with Rob about the bluetooth / WIFI compatibility...I wouldn't expect to use that feature, however, if there were two ways to control this (from the device screen and as a second method from my phone screen), I would still have it and it may still be operable...so that is a consideration. I also like the footprint of the "stick" devices versus a self contained unit as they will fit nicely in a drawer and can also adapt to different container sizes as the need would present.

Nothing is a better selling point for a brand than a previously good experience...I have the ARY Vacmaster 350 vacuum sealer and love it. The ARY vacmaster SV1 looks to be a more solidly built unit without the capacitive touch screen controls...I believe it would still fit in my drawer so space consideration is not an issue.

If I go the bluetooth / stick route, I like the gourmia ones (once bitten twice shy on the Anovas).

Gourmia WIFI

Gourmia non WIFI / bluetooth

Thanks Rob posting your review. I remember seeing that and thinking WOW at the time. I'll watch your video again...I'm really leaning that direction.
                    Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 12-29-2016, 08:36 AM.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Total bummer Dana. I've had this unit for at least 3 years, no problems at all:

No bluetooth here either...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post

Don't pick on that machine---My Mother used hers for 40 years!!

Through the wringer & right out on the line!!

Only problem was it was always smashing my pants zippers!!!

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                        X