Fillers or Binders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fillers or Binders?

Do any of you (or all of you) use anything as a "Filler" or "Binder" when making sausage?....... Mine almost seem to come out "too dense" sometimes.

I have seen a few recipes with oatmeal or crackers in them, is this something I should be trying more of?
    sigpic

Personal choice usually, Fish. I rarely use them, and when I do it's for a flavor. Did some chicken sausage and used a stuffing as a filler. By no means is that the only use. As you mention, you can "lighten" up a sausage with fillers, and stretch your meat out for economy too...but then again, that's what the commercial guys do.

You really should read thru Rytec's book. He has good explanations for about anything sausage related.

Now binders are another thing...some styles need them.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Do any of you (or all of you) use anything as a "Filler" or "Binder" when making sausage?....... Mine almost seem to come out "too dense" sometimes.
      never have had chicken sausage...........but the beef or beef/pork/venison sausages i have had, i have no clue on what you mean by to dense........i mean i do, but i like dense..........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I've done both with & without. I've used soy which is ok but I prefer this stuff

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index....roducts_id=895

Not sure whats in it but it sure makes em plump & juicy.
        sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Dude, when I say "too dense" I guess it's just what I compare the density & texture of mine, in relation to the store bought stuff from the local smokehouses & meat markets..... I did try a recipe a while back that had both parmesan cheese & Ritz crackers in it, that seemed to make a sausage with a "lighter" density..... Maybe I'll try that again..... I'm not trying to do it for economic purposes, just looking for the right "density" & texture.
          sigpic

Comment

I think grind itself has more to do with texture and density that anything. Most folks grind their sausage too fine for me. The finest I grind is 1/8 and sometimes 1/4 inch. I don't care for the texture fine ground sausage. I understand that bologna wouldn't be bologna if it wasn't pureed, but I'm talking about fresh sausage.
            I think "fillers" would make it more dense than without.
            I do use a soy binder for summers and snak stix, but I'm going to try the "special meat binder" from Butcher Packer and oat meal, someday.
            Fishawn, try a courser grind, since you in the experimenting stage right now, and see if that don't take care of your density issues. I personally wouldn't use a filler or binder in fresh sausage.

Tom

Comment

Never thoughta that Guns, thanks..... I've always just used the medium plate for grinding.... Gonna try it tonight!
              sigpic

Comment

Fish, I used the medium plate for the brats we just did. Never have used any binder before this either, but we used powdered milk. They came out like store bought. Thought the texture was perfect. Eventually I want to try the oatmeal too. But I just might buy the stuff Dan suggested.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Never thoughta that Guns, thanks..... I've always just used the medium plate for grinding.... Gonna try it tonight!
                  I've mixed grinds too. I don't like biting into big chunks of fat, so sometimes I'll grind it separately and mix it in right before the seasoning.
                  Andouille is a mixed grind of sorts. At least mine is. I like to hand chop 1/4 inch or a bit bigger chunks of pork and then grind the rest though an 1/8 inch plate. Then add diced potato and onion. I finally was able to procure some sugar cane so I smoke in pecan and sugar cane.

Tom

Comment

I normally use soy protein at about 1.5% in my summer sausage and smoked polish. It does help retain moisture.

Dave

Comment

I use milk powder in my fresh sausage and also special meet binder in my smoked sausages. Nice and juicy
                      Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                        special meet binder in my smoked sausages.
                        Hmmm is there a brand or description of this BG? Or is it a proprietary thing from a supplier?
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          I think grind itself has more to do with texture and density that anything. Most folks grind their sausage too fine for me. The finest I grind is 1/8 and sometimes 1/4 inch. I don't care for the texture fine ground sausage. I understand that bologna wouldn't be bologna if it wasn't pureed, but I'm talking about fresh sausage.
                          I think "fillers" would make it more dense than without.
                          I do use a soy binder for summers and snak stix, but I'm going to try the "special meat binder" from Butcher Packer and oat meal, someday.
                          Fishawn, try a courser grind, since you in the experimenting stage right now, and see if that don't take care of your density issues. I personally wouldn't use a filler or binder in fresh sausage.
                          exactly what I was thinking when I was reading it... grind is most important...

sigpic

Comment

I used a coarse grind on italian sausage and brats and was happy with texture. I used a medium grind on some breakfast sausage and that came out fine too.

I have also used oats per Curious Aardvark's recipe and was happy with it.

But as a rookie sausage head I am in the same boat as you, still experimenting to see what works for me.
                            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Working...
                            X