calamari anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calamari anyone

Today was another fine day on the water we left the dock around 0800 because we ran lat trying to find my net which we could not find so we had to borrow one we started fishing around 0830 and hooked up with a few small kings should have kept a couple but they were small so we released them we hooked in to a couple of silvers and i thought oh boy its going to be a short day we can catch our salmon then go catch some bottom fish

just about that time fishing shut down not a bite for a couple of hours we seen lots of bait so we worked our way over to the bait then we would see salmon swimming around the bait we reeled up our lines we were fishing to deep so we could watch our hooks get hit by the salmon that was fun we played around like this for a few hours until it shut down again

we trolled around for an hour or so and i said reel them in lets go out into deeper water then we trolled around for another hour or two with nothing finally we got a fish and pretty soon we had four in the boat we needed six so we worked our way back into some bait but the water was red from an algee bloom i thought ok no problem we will go into the bait and start catching fish as we are working toward the bait we get a hit the pole goes down hard Kevin grabs the pole and the line goes just screaming off the reel i think ok we got a nice king on here

Kevin has never caught a salmon before so i start coaching him dont horse him just reel when he lets you if he wants line give it to him go ahead let him run this goes on for about five min finally i get the line up close to the surface to see what it is and its only 2 feet under the water and i cant see what it is then a big gob of arms shows up from the darkness its a squid a big squid maybe 10 -15 pounds we caught 5 squid and four salmon everyone had a great time but the squid made my day we released 2 squid because we did not know what to do with them we kept 3 squid

i will try the squid smoked and report the resualts

Happyness is a full smoker

Congrats on the catch! That calamari is some of the best seafood around. On our last trip to Mexico, we brought back about 30 pounds of steaks. I would have helped you out on your excess!
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Yeah Man!....nice! Best Calimari I ever had was in Sardinia....
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

That does it....I want to move to Washington now. Looks great Huey!!
        jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

I tried the squid tonite it was really good i was very surprised i cleaned it and beat it with a meat tenderizor i then dipped into egg and fried it in oil for 1 min on each side until it was golden brown it had a mild flavor real nice one steak was 8x8 inches and 1/4 inch thick and not tough at all i may have to go catch some more

Comment

You did it just right Huey. There is no middle ground with calamari. You have to just barely cook it or way overcook it to have it tender. Anything in between and it's like chewing on a leather boot!
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Update

this last weekend i tried to lightly smoke the squid it did not turn out well at all one thing i did not know is the longer the humbolt squid is dead it takes on an amonia taste they say if you soak it in milk it will get rid of that flavor well i soaked the squid for 30 min and threw it into the smoker was gonna just give it a light smoke with cherry and then try and fry some of it well it was tough and still had a strong amonia taste that i did not like at all so that and the rest of the squid went into the trash if i catch anymore i will only keep what i can eat while its fresh

Comment

Wow - those were big squid.
                Humbolts you reckon ?
                Those suckers can grow to over 6 foot are very aggressive and occasionally eat divers :-)

Those ones you caught look manageable but keep an eye out for the big suckers lol not sure how you'd handle a live 6 foot squid on a boat :-)

As for them going off.
                I suppose you could flash fry them, cool and vacpack to preserve for future consumption.

Any shots of the salmon ?
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Boy, some good calamari is very hard to beat . I've never tried smoking it though. One thing you can also consider is grilling it. I did a thread on it when I was messing around with some. This may give you some ideas:

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=993
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Nice work Huey!...... Last year at the season ender derby @ LaPush we hooked up on a "double header" on Humbolt's.... I thought we had 2 nice Kings on at the same time

Have you ever canned them.... I have not, but thought it might be an option.
                    sigpic

Comment

Those things are crazy looking. Thanks for sharing.
                      Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X