SV Top Round Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV Top Round Thoughts

I have a vac packed chunk of Top Round bathing at 170* FOR THE WIFE UNIT, cause she likes the well done gig. Currently aboot 12 hours in the bath. Was planning on slicing and serving with mashed potatoes etc.

Can i kick the heat up to 200* for the next 8 hours and end up with a chunk of beef that would shred or pull? Thoughts?
    sigpic

Is it in a sous vide?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes it is in SV right now
      sigpic

Comment

Scott, that's very interesting. I've never gone down that road with SV.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It might turn out to be an excellent way to do that cut. My other thought is that it might be very mushy at the end though.

Maybe cut the pack open, split the meat and do one for 4 hours at 200 and see where you're at. Let the other ride for 8 hours. Can always repack the 4 and go another 4 on the first if it doesn't pull.

Sorry, that's all I got on this one. Good luck and blaze the trail!
        Pete
        Large BGE
        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I don't think you need to raise it to 200, 160 should be fine for well done at 20 or so hours.
          The closer you get to 207°, the more moisture you drive out of the meat. That is the point of SV, to retain that moisture.
          Last edited by Mark R; 02-05-2017, 12:42 PM.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Well if ya ask me...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              I don't think you need to raise it to 200, 160 should be fine for well done at 20 or so hours.

The closer you get to 207°, the more moisture you drive out of the meat. That is the point of SV, to retain that moisture.

Good point Mark [emoji106]

I took it oot after aboot 23 hours. Let rest in bag for about half hour. Lots of moisture in the bag. It did shred easily, but was dry. Will need sauce when heating up for tacos. Not really what SV was meant for, but I think it will work for this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that's a long thyme in the bath... The moisture gets pulled oot. I've never tried to do a pulled beef after SVing. Hmmm... interesting experiment.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks like it will be good eating
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X