Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Sous Vide Cooker can you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Sous Vide Cooker can you recommend?

After watching more than a dozen videos featuring people cooking food precisely with a Sous Vide cooker, I am convinced I need to get one. The idea of never overcooking an expensive piece of meat is very appealing, and I am anxious to experiment with cooking smoked meats for adding more flavor and texture before I cook it with a Sous Vide cooker.

So I am asking for recommendations for those who already own a Sous Vie cooker, and what they would suggest I look for and whether they are completely satisfied with the one they got. The two which have got my attention are:

The Anova Precision Cooker https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/

and the

Sansaire Sous Vide Machine https://sansaire.com/sous-vide-machine/

Does anyone own either one of these? If so are you happy with them? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
    Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
    Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

I have heard nothing but good things about the Anova cooker. I personally have not used it but a close friend has one and he produces great finished products with it

Smoke ring or die

Comment

I bought the Sansaire because a local store carried it in stock. I have used it about a dozen times with no issues at all. Most people have the Anova because it goes on sale regularly.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Happy with my Anova...like he said..it was on sale.
        Last edited by zombini; 02-16-2017, 11:27 AM. Reason: added
        sigpic
        GMG Daniel Boone
        UDS
        Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
        Vision Kamado grill
        Weber Genesis Silver
        Smokin Tex
        MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
        Maverick ET 732
        Brown and lime green ThermaPens
        2 orange ThermoPops
        A-Maze-N Tube 18"
        A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
        Vortex

Comment

I got my sous vide from Oliso via a kickstarter program. It is an induction based "smart hub" setup that not only gives me sous vide capabilities, but an induction cooktop, slow cooker, steamer, griddle, etc. The induction technology heats up water significantly faster than a inversion sous vide machine and maintains a more precise temperature through the entire cook cycle. I'm very happy with what I have and am glad that I got it via the kickstarter program for about 1/2 of what they want now via retail. It has a 10.4 liter water bath that is big enough to hold anything that I have tried. I find the unit very versatile.

I will say the retail price of $499 is something to really weigh out, but given all of its capabilities in a self-contained unit, you simply cannot go wrong with it.

Here is a description of what the unit is from Oliso:
          The Smart Hub is a powerful induction burner that can plug into any power outlet and instantly give you the capabilities of a kitchen range. What makes it revolutionary is the gold plated contact module that allows various Smart Tops to dock with the Smart Hub so that the two recognize each other and communicate seamlessly all without the need for batteries or recharging. The first Smart Top & trade; is the Precision Smart Top & trade;, designed to heat liquid to a precise temperature and keep it there. This allows you to do sous vide, but the design also allows you to cook in the top without plastic bags. Now you can use precision temperature control for infusions, delicate broths, whole chickens, culturing yogurt or sprouting grains. The induction burner is capable of delivering up to 1500W for extremely fast heating, but can also maintain temperatures with as few as 2W. Induction heats the pot directly, eliminating the inefficiencies associated with transmitting heat from electrical and gas stove tops to the pan. Precisely calibrated to measure the temperature of the water bath to within 0.1 Degree C (0.18 Degree F), giving you greater control over cooking your food. There's no need to babysit those 48-hour ribs, just press the button and go. The spacer plate keeps food off of the bottom of the bath and the adjustable rack holds your food in place, without the need to clip it to the side of the bath, allowing for even cooking on all sides. Ultimate Control over Cooking Temperature - More Efficient than an Immersion Circulator. Oliso Smart Hub Induction Cooktop with Precision Smart Top Removable 11 Qtr. Sous Vide Oven - Ultimate Control over Cooking Temperature - More Efficient than an Immersion Circulator.
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I have the first series Avova, and an old cooler. Did some Hunkyed up wings on this cook...

Notched out one corner of the lid to clear the unit...

I love this thing! I've had it for a couple years at least, and use the hell out of it!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have an Anova. It quit working within the first 2 weeks(used 4 times). Sent it in and they replaced it. I don't use one very much, mainly re-heating soup, chili, pulled pork, and the like.
              But I have used a VACMASTER sous vide at a friends and what a difference. If my Anova ever quits again, it will be replaced by a VACMASTER SV1. 1500 watt heater, much more powerful pump, and a 1 year warranty.
              JMHO-YMMV
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                But I have used a VACMASTER sous vide at a friends and what a difference. If my Anova ever quits again, it will be replaced by a VACMASTER SV1. 1500 watt heater, much more powerful pump, and a 1 year warranty.
                JMHO-YMMV
                Jim, that's the one I'm gonna get. I didn't have good luck with my anova...http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...653#post634653
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

I know this doesn't help but at least for the brand, I'll say I've been very happy with Anova. Since it's discontinued, I wouldn't pay the Amazon price so go with the Vacmaster if you want to go heavy or the Anova for every once in awhile home stuff.

I bought this one probably a year and a half ago and I paid $199.00 for it. It's kind of a home/commercial version. It has worked great for me every time. I think they were getting rid of them for the new Bluetooth version which is what they are selling now.

In any event, it's a great tool and is one of many for great vittles!

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vi...nova+sous+vide
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I have been cooking with the Vacmaster SV1 for some time now and I love it. Fast heat up and it runs very quite. 1500 watt and is rated for heating up to 8 gallons of water. Its super easy to operate which I think most are these days. It does not have Bluetooth but to be honest... I set the temp and walk away for 4 hours or longer. It's so accurate and consistent I have no need to remotely view the temp or change temp for that matter. There is a short range limitation to Bluetooth anyway. It's a "could be" nice to have but I don't look at Bluetooth as requirement but that's just me.

A while back I posted a review on the unit. Here it is.
                    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=vacmaster+sv1
                    Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                    Yoder Wichita
                    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Anova has been a great unit for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't help on either one of those, I use a block heater from a Cummins engine with a PID controller.

They take a little learning but they are a neat tool

Comment

Awww geez...Another one headed for the dark side

Oh...I'm sorry...I take back my previous statement
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            Awww geez...Another one headed for the dark side

Oh...I'm sorry...I take back my previous statement
                            Haters gonna hate. Right Ken?
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Haters gonna hate. Right Ken?
                              You can't fix stubborn...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X