No announcement yet.

What should my first Sous Vide meal be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should my first Sous Vide meal be?

So I did it, I went ahead and ordered myself a Vacmaster SV1 Sous Vide cooker, and it should arrive within the next couple of days. Thanks for everyone's opinion on which model I should get. Thanks to Wingman for providing such a detailed review of the Vacmaster, and it was the main reason I decided on getting that specific one.

Let me tell you that my wife isn't 100% convinced that I needed to drop a few hundred dollars for the machine and a container, so I am here to ask for you help again. I really want to impress her with the first meal I make for her, and show her that our investment was well worth the money.

What specific meal would you recommend I cook for her the first time? I know the sous vide cooker is great for cooking steaks, but which cut? Any seasonings in the bag? Do I cold smoke first for added flavor, or is it not necessary? Sear before and after, or just after? I have done a little bit of homework only to find recipes for steaks vary from 125 degrees all the way up to 140 degrees. Is there something else I should cook first, like say pork chops that is easier to cook?

Any suggestion from our fellow sous vide owners would be greatly appreciated. I of course will keep you all posted with a few photos to show you how it all turned out. Any recipes you guys think are a big hit? Let me know what I should cook for the first time. Thanks.
    Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
    Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

NY strip steaks. 4 to 6 hours @134, then sear. Season with S&P, granulated garlic and granulated onion, a couple pads of butter in the bag. Yummers. Save the juice for au jus. Baked taters and fresh asparagus for sides. You'll get lucky for sure...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Steaks are always good. You could do a thick ribeye 2-2.5" season more like prime rib, sear then butterfly to showcase the edge to edge consistency. While the water is still warm, bump the temp up to 146 and do chicken breasts for 60 minutes, ice bath and that can be lunch the next day. Salmon fillets are fast, 30 minutes at 120 for a nice rare piece that slides right off the skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ribeye or NYStrip 128° for 4 hours... for M rare. Then sear it on a real hot pan or over a Vortex. I like the vortex meself!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          Ribeye or NYStrip 128° for 4 hours... for M rare. Then sear it on a real hot pan or over a Vortex. I like the vortex meself!
          Yup, that works. I been doing 134° because of my audience. It all good in da hood

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Strip or Ribeye, at 128* in the Sous Vide and finish sear on either a screaming hot cast iron pan or a griddle top (if you have one).
            Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

I concur on a good steak cut and the 4-6 hours. I tend to cook mine @ 129. I like to have some real butter and garlic powder in with my steaks. Oh man do they come out good. I read somewhere that if you use real garlic (minced) in the bags it can take on a metallic taste so I have avoided it. I also concur with the ice bath at the end prior to searing. I prefer searing in a very hot cast iron skillet with oil. I salt during the sear. Great serve it with a herbed butter.

Congrats on that new Vacmaster SV1! It will treat you right. Mine has.
              Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
              Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
              SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
              Yoder Wichita
              Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
              Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
              Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Then, try some chicken breast with some balsamic vinegar and some of Rich's rub for an hour at 149°. Then, finish to 165° on hot CI, rest and slice.

Then, let me know what you think.

Also, excellent system to do poached eggs and no bag needed

Pete
                Large BGE
                Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Salad fan?135 for 1.5 hours on eggs in the shell..sep out yolks and make Caesar’s a REAL Caesar’s dressing worry free. Use GOOD anchovies. Packed i pure olive oil is a good clue. I prefer King Oscar as a readily available brand.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

A lot of good recipes here
                    http://www.seriouseats.com/sous_vide_101
                    Tried the crispy chicken thighs, simple and easy to make. Want to try the pork carnitas next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

All good advice, only thing I would add is if you are going to use the hot pan method make sure the meat is dry.

Last one i did I took out of the bag put on some paper towels and into the freezer to chill out a bit.

Then into the pan for some real magic a bit of EVV, butter, bacon grease, duck fat etc.
                      Last edited by nickelmore; 02-27-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post

Also, excellent system to do poached eggs and no bag needed

I love soft boiled eggs. My Danish Grandmother use to make them perfect for breakfast, and they are very popular there, not so much here. I have seen contradicting temperatures and times for soft boiled eggs, some even suggest boiling for a few minutes before placing in the sous vide. I am so confused! What temp and time would you recommend for the perfect soft boiled egg?
                        Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
                        Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Comment

Beef Tenderloin!

Bernaise and Asparagus if you guys like it, potatoes for the win.... Homemade fries, mashed, etc. If you REALLY want the win, Crab on top of a Tenderloin steak, with the Bernaise. Never failed me yet

Not SV cooked, butt ootstanding meal with rave reviews
                          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=Fishawn+filet
                          Last edited by Fishawn; 02-27-2017, 09:43 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by emuleman View Post
                            I love soft boiled eggs. My Danish Grandmother use to make them perfect for breakfast, and they are very popular there, not so much here. I have seen contradicting temperatures and times for soft boiled eggs, some even suggest boiling for a few minutes before placing in the sous vide. I am so confused! What temp and time would you recommend for the perfect soft boiled egg?
                            Don't be, lots of help around. 147° for an hour.

Here's a good link to get a handle on things to start:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide
                            Pete
                            Large BGE
                            Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

My wife loves the Mad Hunky brined chicken breast then water bathed at 146 for a 1.5 to 2 hours. Great on salads.
                              sigpic
                              GMG Daniel Boone
                              UDS
                              Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                              Vision Kamado grill
                              Weber Genesis Silver
                              Smokin Tex
                              MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                              Maverick ET 732
                              Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                              2 orange ThermoPops
                              A-Maze-N Tube 18"