My first Sous Vide cook, Bone-In New York Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Sous Vide cook, Bone-In New York Steaks

Well my new cooking toy arrived a few days ago, the VACMASTER Sous Vide Immersion Circulator. I wanted to try something that highlighted how well this new machine cooks, and what could be better to show that than a nice, perfectly cooked steak. My local market had Bone-In New York Steaks on sale for $3.99 a pound, so I picked up three beautiful steaks in an attempt to impressive my wife, and justify the couple hundred of dollars that I spent on this new cooking toy.

I vacuum sealed the three New York Steaks after seasoning them with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I also put some Thyme and a slice of butter on top of each steak before sealing them. They looked wonderful, and I was anxious to get these steaks cooking!

I heated up the VACMASTER to a temperature of 134 degrees, and set the timer for an hour and a half. I dropped them in, and decided to enjoy a few beers while I anticipated having a wonderful steak dinner shortly. Never has cooking a steak to the perfect temperature been so easy!

After an hour and a half they were ready, so I removed them from the bags and layed them on some paper towels to dry them off. Even though they looked kinda grey and strange looking, the smell was getting me hungry! I heated up my frying pan to a high heat, added some oil, and dropped the steaks into the pan. After one minute I flipped them over and threw in a big slice of butter, constantly moving them around in the pan so they would absorb all the delicious flavors of the pan.

Below are some pictures of the steaks right before we devoured them. My wife said she has never had a steak that tasted so good and that was so perfectly cooked from edge to edge. My first cook was a huge success!

Looking forward to many more delicious meals with my new Sous Vide machine. Thanks for all the suggestions in a earlier post about what to cook first, as I am glad I decided on some steaks, they came out perfect!
    Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
    Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Congrats and Great Job!

Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

That is awesome!! I'm soooo happy it worked out for you! It all looks excellent!!
      134º seems to be the magic number for me and beef. Depending on the cut of meat I vary my cooking time. NY strips, 2 hours max. Tougher cuts, 4-6 hours.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sous Vide is a great tool to have. I use mine frequently. Great work!
        Don

Humphrey's Pint
        Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
        Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
        Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
        Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
        Anova One Sous Vide
        AMPS
        Purple Thermapen
        Maverick ET-733
        DigIQ DX2
        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Looks like you convinced her, and that's always worth
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Congrats! Look like you rocked it, now the hook is set!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

god damn that looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                god damn that looks good!
                What he said. I must get a SV
                sigpic
                Weber 22.5 kettle
                Smokin in the Smokies
                Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
                Jerry

Comment

Looks great, go get a vortex and use charcoal, even better!!
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X