Zeek's Hockey Puck Jerkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeek's Hockey Puck Jerkey

Give'in smoked Jerky a try. Make a lot of it in the dehydrator, but never smoked it before. I decided to try my favorite, Hockey Puck Jerky (a must up in the great white north). Started with 5Lbs of Eye of Round, cut at 1/2" and marinaded for 12 hours. Turned out great. The flavor of the smoke (Oak and Cherry) gives the jerky a very rich flavor that I never had before and I will defiantly do this again with my thinner jerky (I don't think I'll do this again with this thick jerky, way to long a smoke for jerky). It took forever to smoke this, It was hell trying to keep the temps under 150. I had to incorporate Lump Charcoal with a wood mix and keep the front door cracked open a bit but it turned out great. Thanks for checking out my smoke...

Cut Hockey Puck Style

The Marinade

After 12 hours of Marinade and just put on the smoker

Had to keep the door open to keep under 150...

At the three hour mark, still a long way to go...

After a 13 hour smoke, Jerky done. Don't know if I'll do that again for jerky...

Last edited by Zeeker; 09-14-2009, 05:14 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    KCBS CBJ

Wow Zeek. Looks great.
    13 hours ain't nothin' man. Just wait till you get a big stubborn butt or brisket.

to you man. That's just awesome.

Tom

Comment

If you may not be doing it again Zeeker so you better have toast face there run me down a few pieces so I can judge for myself. It sure looks good.
      Every time I see a pic with Fat Man in it I turn green with envy. That sure is one great job you did on that buddy.

Here's to you my friend!

Comment

Cut 'em a bit thinner...it's an exponential time decrease. But man a steak in the hand, eh! Bravo!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'll pm ya my address cause I wouldn't want you tyo get sick eating it all by yourself.
          Chargriller Pro w. sfb
          Ducane 4100 propane grill
          Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Cut 'em a bit thinner...it's an exponential time decrease. But man a steak in the hand, eh! Bravo!
            Rich, I agree but up here it's a norm. Hockey Puck jerky. They say a puck a period. You should know that being a Detroit fan. All the best...
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Looks great, but cut only 1/4 " next time it will be fantastic.
              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Hmmm interesting... I see the point now. I guess I'd rather have 2 a period..IN THEIR NET that is!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                  Looks great, but cut only 1/4 " next time it will be fantastic.
                  I agree BG. I usually do my jerky at 1/8" and sometimes 1/4". But I had to try the Hockey puck the first time out. Had a tone of fun, just experimenting. All the best...
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Nice Zeek. I like the thicker cut idea. Been doing chunks with the venison lately. Like it better than the thin sliced.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Oh yeah Man!....do like my teeth pullin jerky! Real nice!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks great Zeek. It's about that time for me to get the jerky goin again. I think I have only used beef once, most has been venison because alot of bud's like to hunt but then the meat sit's in their freezer. Then I did the pork loin and chicken jerky. I am glad rich pointed out a sale at a local super market for bottom round.

Comment

I like that idea of the big 'ol hunka meat. I see the Labbatt's hanging around but what kinda marinade did you use & did you like it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Looks great!

I like that idea of a great big ol' hunk of jerky. Looks like it would keep ya busy for awhile gnawing on one of those, that's for sure.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              I like that idea of the big 'ol hunka meat. I see the Labbatt's hanging around but what kinda marinade did you use & did you like it.
                              I used my own Marinade Fishawn and yes I loved it, It's a real zippy mix. Half of the jerky is already gone...
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X