24 Hour Sous Vide Carnitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Hour Sous Vide Carnitas

One of my favorite ways of cooking pork shoulder is making some Carnitas. The flavors with the various spices used makes a wonderfully delicious shredded pork that you can use in a wide variety of ways. If you have never tried Pork Carnitas I would recommend you giving it a try.

This time around I decided to try making it with my Sous Vide Cooker. Normally I make it in the Slow Cooker, but I decided to give it a shot cooking it Sous Vide Style, and see how it differs from the more traditional way of cooking it.

Of course I needed to make a video showing you in detail how easy it is to make. Like I said if you have never tried it you owe yourself the opportunity to try this, and I am sure it will soon become a regular dish you will enjoy!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ldOuePSlnCA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Feel free to leave me your comments, and thanks for watching!
    Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
    Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

I am so glad I was eating lunch during this so I didn't get to hungry. Not really a criticism, but I myself would've gone ahead and broken down the second one and vac sealed into 3 smaller bags just for food safety paranoia on my part. Really really nice looking plates at the end. I would've gladly grabbed a fork and joined you all.

One other thing you pegged not getting an aroma while cooking, but let me put a spin on that. No aroma means no nosy neighbors and more for you.

Comment

I like it!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
        I am so glad I was eating lunch during this so I didn't get to hungry. Not really a criticism, but I myself would've gone ahead and broken down the second one and vac sealed into 3 smaller bags just for food safety paranoia on my part.
        There is no paranoia...do some research...mine runs about 3x a week...airplane gig got me busy & throwed the gig in DA tuB...@ get after it...break down the amount you want & SV it...totally different...
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
          There is no paranoia...do some research...mine runs about 3x a week...airplane gig got me busy & throwed the gig in DA tuB...@ get after it...break down the amount you want & SV it...totally different...
          I meant after it was cooked(The second one E-mule was going to pop in the fridge) just to get it to cool temp fast enough. The smaller the portion to be cooled the less time it takes. 15 years cooking in cafeterias it's just habit to take leftovers and break down into smaller portions. For example, 5 gallons of chili will cool faster if divided into equal portions and put in 1/4 pans than it would if you left it in the serving pot.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
            I meant after it was cooked(The second one E-mule was going to pop in the fridge) just to get it to cool temp fast enough. The smaller the portion to be cooled the less time it takes. 15 years cooking in cafeterias it's just habit to take leftovers and break down into smaller portions. For example, 5 gallons of chili will cool faster if divided into equal portions and put in 1/4 pans than it would if you left it in the serving pot.
            I threw the second one into a pan and filled it with ice, and threw it in the fridge. A few hours later decided to save it for next week, or maybe the week after, and threw it in the freezer.

But I agree that you need to cool it down relatively quickly to avoid it staying in the Danger Zone for too long. Throwing it into an ice bath does the trick.
            Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
            Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Comment

Working...
            X