Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Chicken Breasts (Mrs Bear’s Chicken Salad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV Chicken Breasts (Mrs Bear’s Chicken Salad)

SV Chicken Breasts (Mrs Bear’s Chicken Salad)

I never got involved in Mrs Bear’s Chicken Salad before, but I knew I could make it better for her with my SV Oven.
    She always makes 2 Chicken Breasts in the Toaster Oven, and I knew I could make them more moist & tender.

So I found some internet examples for Chicken Breast, & planned my attack.
    I actually settled on the one that came with my Sous Vide Supreme Oven.
    I put two Breasts in a Vac Bag, along with a 3 pats of butter, removed the air, and Double sealed the end.
    Then I set the SV Supreme at 146°, and put the pack in the Bath.
    After 2 hours, I removed the pack & put it right into a big bowl of Ice Water to cool fast.

Then I removed them from the Ice water & from the Bag, and Mrs Bear took over from there.

She cut it all up in little cubes, mixed some Miracle Whip, Salt & Pepper, and Celery Seed into it & put it in the Fridge for a few days worth of Sammies for her lunches.

She said it really was a lot better than he Toaster Oven made Chicken Salad.

Below is a quick pictorial review of the process we used:

Bear

Chicken Breasts for Mrs Bear’s Chicken Salad:

Breasts sealed with 3 pats of Butter:

Into Ice water to cool fast:

Breasts after 2 hours @ 146°:

Breasts all chopped up:

Mrs Bear’s Chicken Salad all done:
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

That's funny I made chicken salad last night too. Didn't get any pics though. Looks good Bear.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Love me some good chicken salad! Looks tasty Bear!
      ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

SV'd chicken boobies... YUM!!!! Looks great John... givin' you and the lady some

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Try using Rich's poultry brine before you seal them up. Nice mild herbal flavor to the salad.
          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

I'm sure that salad turned out well. SV'd chicken breasts are fantastic.
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
              Try using Rich's poultry brine before you seal them up. Nice mild herbal flavor to the salad.
              I often make salad with leftovers from a whole bird. Yes..it’s a nice addition. Especially the rosemary/thyme you don’t usually see in a chicken salad.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                I often make salad with leftovers from a whole bird. Yes..it’s a nice addition. Especially the rosemary/thyme you don’t usually see in a chicken salad.
                Same here. It's a fine way to rock oot leftovers! My wife makes an EXCELLENT chicken salad... better than mine!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Bear it looks good in fact real good. Can you explain the cooking to 146° vs going up to the one-sixty range? Oh and as long as your wife is cooking maybe get us a few new pictures of some raspberry chiffon????

Comment

Great use of your machine bear
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                      That's funny I made chicken salad last night too. Didn't get any pics though. Looks good Bear.
                      Thanks Mike!!
                      Funny how often things like that happen. Same Wavelength.

Bear

Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
                      Love me some good chicken salad! Looks tasty Bear!
                      Thanks Uncle!!
                      I'm not big on Chicken Salad, but Mrs Bear is, and it's lower on calories than a lot of things, I guess.

Bear

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                      SV'd chicken boobies... YUM!!!! Looks great John... givin' you and the lady some
                      Thank You Phil !!
                      And for the Points.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                        Bear it looks good in fact real good. Can you explain the cooking to 146° vs going up to the one-sixty range?
                        Using SV.. 146 for..Umm 90 mins? at least..it considered safe. Check the SV site but I think it’s 90 mins.

OK 1 hour..but 90 mins won’t hurt anything.

https://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-u...mperatures.htm
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Using SV.. 146 for..Umm 90 mins? at least..it considered safe. Check the SV site but I think it’s 90 mins.

OK 1 hour..but 90 mins won’t hurt anything.

https://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-u...mperatures.htm
                          Coolers Rich thanks. Chalk it up to my inexperience with the SV scene.

Comment

Damn good looking chicken salad John! I'll have to give you sous vide .
                            sigpic
                            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                              I have not made Chicken salad for years but just did with some mad hunky water bathed breast. It was great......

Yours looks awesome Bear
                              sigpic
                              GMG Daniel Boone
                              UDS
                              Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                              Vision Kamado grill
                              Weber Genesis Silver
                              Smokin Tex
                              MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                              Maverick ET 732
                              Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                              2 orange ThermoPops