Second Rack In A UDS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Rack In A UDS?

Until I can find something to use as a firebox for the 275 gallon smoker I want to build, I'm considering building a UDS just to have one, BUT....is it going to give me any more rack space than my Brinkman SnP Pro?
    Is it worth adding a second rack to a UDS or will the lower one be too close to the coal basket?

I dont have a drum but the way I understand is most of them are built with two racks...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

My UDS has 2 racks. The lower one is approx. 6 inches below the upper one. I have thermos installed just below each cooking grate and after the drum has been running a while-the temps are usually real close to each other. The lower rack does seem to cook a little faster though.
      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

General consensus is that the lower rack should be 24" from the bottom of the charcoal basket. Typically the bottom of the basket is 3" from the bottom of the barrel so that's 27" from bottom of barrel to the lower grate. If you want to have two grates, a domed top is called for in order to give enough clearance for what may be on the top grate. A Weber top to a 22 1/2" grill works great.
        These barrel smokers produce a fair amount of condensate, think real nasty tasting liquid smoke that likes to drip down onto your food and hence, IMHO, a domed cover is best regardless of there being 1 or 2 racks since the condensate will then run down the sides of the barrel.

Domed top 2 rack UDS, my favorite

Flat Top single rack UDS, looking for a new home

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
          is it going to give me any more rack space than my Brinkman SnP Pro?
          Probably not. I'm not sure of the exact size of your SnP Pro but my SnP racks are about 17" x 38" which gives me about 646 square inches of space.

The grates for a 55 gallon UDS are about 20" in diameter so 2 would give you 628 square inches of space. With them being round that is somewhat misleading and also, if you load them up solid, you will lose your draft as air needs to be able to travel upward through the grates in order to draw in fresh air at the bottom to keep the fire going.

Is it worth adding a second rack to a UDS
          Yes, I think two racks in a UDS are definitely worth it. I can do 6 racks of BBs on it and probably 8 - 5 pound butts. It takes a little forethought and planning to manage the multi-rack cooks, but I think it is worth it.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Well Dave, as it is right now, I can't use the first foot or so of rack closest to the firebox in my SnP anyway, because everything burns there. I'm slowly trying to make a baffle to direct the heat down under some tuning plates, but am not the most creative so it's taking me awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post

Flat Top single rack UDS, looking for a new home

what do you mean looking for a new home?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jbchoice1 View Post
                what do you mean looking for a new home?
                Well I've got these two drum smokers, a WSM, a modified Silver Smoker and a Mini Reverse flow smoker. I don't really need two drums, so the flat top is available to someone near by. I'll let it go for what I've got into it. Pick up only though.

Comment

Well Dave, as it is right now, I can't use the first foot or so of rack closest to the firebox in my SnP anyway, because everything burns there. I'm slowly trying to make a baffle to direct the heat down under some tuning plates, but am not the most creative so it's taking me awhile.

You build a drum, i guarantee you'll be tossing that s n p in the scrap pile!

Comment

Ya can do a fair amount a cookin in a 2 rack drum. I love mine, has become my favorite smoker so far. There also real efficient so ya don't use near as much charcoal.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, in that case, I guess a 2 rack UDS would give you more rack space than your SnP.

Plus, they're fun to build.

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

I'm going to look at a couple of drums this afternoon that a guy near me on Craigslist is selling for $10.00 apiece. One held paint, but he's had fires in it and the other one held grease. I figured I'd stop off at a hand car wash and take it to them so I could see better what I have to deal with.

The are drums with the clamp on lids. Id there a difference in the diameter of clamp ons vs solid lid drums that you have to cut the lids off. Will a Weber lid still fit as well?

Comment

Id there a difference in the diameter of clamp ons vs solid lid drums that you have to cut the lids off. Will a Weber lid still fit as well?
                          Yes, the clamp on lid drums usually have a rolled lip that increases the diameter to the point where the Weber lid sits right on top but does not fit over the edge. Give it a try though as there seems to be regional differences in sizes according to the Brethren.

There are several solutions to mount the lid though -- ranging from hammering dome lid flat then "rebending" it to the drum, donor Weber Kettle mod or adding a strip inside the drum to set the lid on. Tip did this and I'm sure he'll post some pics and a description for ya!

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

Dave, if I turned the drum upside down and cut the bottom out, would the fit be different? I kinda like that idea. That way I could unclamp the bottom and lift the drum off the fire basket. Seems like it would be easier to make adjustment to the coals and add wood if I wanted to. Come time to remove the fire basket it would be easier too. No bending and reaching down into the barrel.

Comment

Dave, if I turned the drum upside down and cut the bottom out, would the fit be different? I kinda like that idea. That way I could unclamp the bottom and lift the drum off the fire basket. Seems like it would be easier to make adjustment to the coals and add wood if I wanted to. Come time to remove the fire basket it would be easier too. No bending and reaching down into the barrel.
                              That is how I did mine. The lid fits great and cleanup is easy.
                              http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2067
                              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Working...
                              X