Slab Happy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slab Happy!

Labor Day weekend I got about a 40lb case of fresh skinned bellies(3). I trimmed them up and squared em off and into the freezer save one 5lb piece. This one I want to try a few things in combination that have worked well in the past. So this was wet cured and then giving a very light coating of molasses and then packed the outside with heavy fresh cracked black pepper.

Wet cure was

1 quart of water
    1/4 kosher salt
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp insta cure #1

Cured in the fridge flipping daily(almost) for 10 days. Here is a shot of the cured belly.

And a shot of the edge that the bacon will look like. Pretty meaty.

Then coated with the molasses and CBP.

Now onto the smoker overnite with apple smoke.

Hoping this will be done by the time I leave for work in the morning but we'll see. Might have to have the wife pull my meat for me. More pics of the finished product to follow.
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Man ya got my attention!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Don't forget to try some of the Hunky paprika bacon Lou...you WILL not be dissapointed! Looks good man!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Lookin good Lou, can't wait to see the sliced goodies!
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Nothing better than fresh bacon.

Tom

Comment

I have been meaning to try this. I found a good price on bellies from a local guy and just haven't gotten around to it. This post is gonna push me over the edge and get it done.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
              I have been meaning to try this. I found a good price on bellies from a local guy and just haven't gotten around to it. This post is gonna push me over the edge and get it done.
              U Do Wu! You will be SOOO happy!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Mmmm.. Lou! Lookin' great so far, can't wait to see it finished.
                jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Don't forget to try some of the Hunky paprika bacon Lou...you WILL not be dissapointed! Looks good man!
                  I do want to try that but I'll most certainly need some direction.

Thanx all for the positive comments. The slab was at 118o this morning so Cathy will have to take it off later. According to Rytek's book it needs to go to 128o.
                  sigpic

GOSM/propane
                  UDS (Cam)/lump
                  22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                  Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

Looking good.This is on my to-do list...

Comment

Hey Lou, that bacon yer doin is startin to look and sound mighty good. Can't wait to see it done.

Ain't nuthin' better than to have to missus help when yer makin' bacon.

Comment

That is gonna be gooood!

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                        According to Rytek's book it needs to go to 128o.
                        I'm not sure why 128 is the magic number. It may well be the warmest the meat can get without actually cooking. I have found that you can smoke to a desired color, rather than a temperature. I certainly would not want to get it hotter than 128, but my wintertime bacon never gets over 100.

Of course no one has asked me to write a book.
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                          That is gonna be gooood!

I'm not sure why 128 is the magic number. It may well be the warmest the meat can get without actually cooking. I have found that you can smoke to a desired color, rather than a temperature. I certainly would not want to get it hotter than 128, but my wintertime bacon never gets over 100.

Of course no one has asked me to write a book.
                          I get a little confused at the different temps to obtain for different products. Smoked sausage seems to be around 152o, bacon 128o and I've seen a few other. When I left for work this morning I almost pulled it at 118o but since the wife was home I let is get up to the recommended temp. With all the pepper packed on and it being dark out this morning I really couldn't judge the color anyway.
                          sigpic

GOSM/propane
                          UDS (Cam)/lump
                          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                          Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

Lou,
                            It is a nice meaty slab, its going to be yummy for sure!
                            I have tried Sir Rich's hunky bacon... delicious... easy too.. make sure you leave a hunk and dont slice all the bacon, he will give you the step by step, it's more like a step and a half.. lol!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I'm really happy with the way this bacon turned out. I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours and it firmed up real nice for slicing. I like the lean fat ratio and the flavor is what I was hoping for.

Here is part of the slab sliced up. You can see the pepper crust on the top edge.

And of course a few end pieces to sample.

I'd like to make a BLT right now but gotta fast for blood work tomorrow but watch out Saturday morning! Fried swine flesh and chicken embryos, meps, meps.
                              sigpic

GOSM/propane
                              UDS (Cam)/lump
                              22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                              Weber Genesis/propane

Comment

Working...
                              X