Canning Venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Venison

My wife is looking for a good, tried and true recipe for canning venison. Hoping a Smoked Meat member may have a good one. Thanks in advance !!!
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

got a call into my aunt in AR... found this with a quick google search of canned venison

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/canned.htm

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...enison,FF.html

sigpic

Comment

Mossy I have not done this myself, but I Admin over at large hunting forum and this is one of the members way of canning it..

Seems simple enough to me..

From Ladydiehard

A fellow Wisconsinite that doesn't know how to can venison? I thought that idea was only foreign to "southerners".

Anyway, the way my family has been doing it for years isn't fancy but it sure is delicious!

We generally use the hind quarters for canning but any of it will work with the exception of leg meat. Too full of cords!

We also use a water canner, not a pressure canner.

Select your cut of meat, trim off fat and other nasty stuff then cube it up into desired chunks.

Pack cubed meat into pint or quart jars, half full, then add salt. Then pack the jars the rest of the way, all the way to the top and add remaining salt.

We use a half teaspoon salt for pint jars, 1/4 at half full and 1/4 at full. And we use a whole teaspoon salt for quart jars, 1/2 and 1/2.

Place jars in water canner. Water level should be just to the tops of the jars.

Bring to a full boil then reduce heat to a rolling simmer. Simmer for 3 hours.

Remove jars carefully, avoid touching them together, set out to cool. The jars should seal on their own as they cool, usually within minutes.

Check seals and if any have not sealed this meat needs to be consumed soon. The jars of meat that are sealed will last for years on your pantry shelf. How long exactly, I can't say. Opinion varies. Around my house, they never make it past 2 years.

Keep in mind, this meat is already cooked and could actually be eaten right out of the jar. When you get ready to use the meat, you don't have to "cook" it all over again.

We like to roll the chunks of meat in flour, heat them through in a frying pan of margarine and eat them with bread, gravy and sides.

Canned venison is also great for soups or stews.
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks Jjbchoice1, hadn't found the one from bowhunting.net

and thank you TH !!!
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Hmm so I assume ya could toss in some seasonings to this method too, Eh Ken? Interesting. Never canned meat.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

It's not done down my way... 30+ years of hunting and processing wild game.. I have never met anyone here in Texas that cans Venison..

It may be down right great.. Just never do it..

I guess were to busy making sausage out of it...lol
            Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I have canned ELK before & it was great. It has been several years though & I am pretty sure I used the recipe from the BALL book & threw in some Jalapenos.
              sigpic

Comment

Interesting concept. I suppose it would make for quicker stews coming from the jar already cooked and tenderized.
                sigpic

GOSM/propane
                UDS (Cam)/lump
                22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                Weber Genesis/propane
                Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

is awesome stuff, use nice chunks of meat from the hind quarter, dont forget to add some pepper too. we havent made any in a few years but is really good. grab a jar heat and make gravy from juices and on taters. quick and ez. and tender as all get out!!! have also canned pork the same way. used the meat from the fresh ham when we butchered. doesnt really sound all that great but you got to try before making a judgment.
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

The FIL used to make this and give to the wife and I. I forgot all about it! Every hunting season I"m in a rush to make a sh_tload of jerky to make room in the freezer for the fresh stuff. I will definitely be canning some this year. And I ditto what Cruzen and Erain said. This stuff is tender as all get out and makes soups and stews super easy

Comment

All I can say is...............Why? After the back straps get fried, the roasts get made into jerky, and the rest ground for sausage and burger, what's left to can?

Tom

Comment

Gunslinger
                        I normally get 6 to 8 deer per season and my father in law usually takes 2 that he doesn't want the meat from so my wife and I are just trying to come up with other options.
                        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                          Gunslinger
                          I normally get 6 to 8 deer per season and my father in law usually takes 2 that he doesn't want the meat from so my wife and I are just trying to come up with other options.
                          Wow, well I guess that's a good reason. Options are good. Options is the reason I got into this whole smoking thing. I found your venison bacon post on the other site. Bought the GOSM to do 25 pound batches. You really need to post that here. Mine's gone from there but can redo it, or post about the one I hope to do this year.

In all my years of hunting, we've never canned it either. My new neighbor told me about canning venison last year. As he explained it, growing up in Illinois, they did not have the equipment or freezer to do it any other way. They saved the tenderloins and cut a few steaks. The rest was canned. He made it sound great. Just never tried it. Let us know which method you use and how it turns out.
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                            Gunslinger
                            Mmmmmmmmmmm....deer sticks. 6 to 8 deer. Lots of deer sticks. Apple deer sticks, cherry deer sticks, maple deer sticks, hickory deer sticks, pecan deer sticks, deer sticks, deer sticks, deer sticks.

Tom

Comment

A lot of people just put chunks of venison in a jar, Put the lid on and process. thats it. It will make its own juice as it cooks. I prefer to jazz it up a bit. I fill the jar with venison chunks then add broth to within 1/2 inch of the top . Put on the lids and process in a pressure cooker as per manufacturers instructions.

MEAT CANNING BROTH

• 5 CUPS WATER
                              • 5 BEEF BOVRIL(LOW SODIUM)
                              • 3 OR 4 CRUSHED GARLIC CLOVES
                              • 1 TBSP WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE
                              • 3 TSP PICKLING SALT
                              • 1 TBSP MARJORAM
                              • I TBSP HOT CHILIS
                              • 1 TSP GROUND FENNEL

FILLS 6 500 ML MASON JARS

or do a canned stew

Canned Venison Stew

1 lb. Venison stew meat cubed
                              1 Beef bouillon cube
                              1/2 cup Lima beans
                              1 cup Potatoes, diced
                              1/2 cup String beans
                              1/2 tsp Salt
                              1/2 cup Carrots, sliced
                              1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
                              1/2 cup Celery, sliced
                              1/8 cup dry red wine and 1 Tbs. flour
                              2 Tbs. Onion, chopped
                              1 Tbs. Drake's crispy fry mix
                              1/2 tsp Garlic, sliced
                              1 cup Warm water
                              2 Tbs. Home cured venison ham or reg. ham
                              Pack raw ingredients in quart jar in above order to within one inch of top, add flour to wine and add to jar, don’t over fill, seal and process for 90 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.
                              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X