Habs ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Habs ready

Got a lot of peppers off my planter based garden this year. Planted a Hab plant late but thought WTH. It is doing great with a lot of peppers. They are starting to turn so time to start picking. What is the best way to handle habs. Dry, fridge, freeze, etc?????? Thanks.
    Dan
    AKA "GTL"

Get Busy Livin' or Get Busy Dyin"

Weber 22 1/2" Gold
    3405 GOSM
    sigpic

Depends on how you will use them.. If you are going to use them in a sauce, rub or mixed seasoning I would split de-seed and dehydrate and then grind... Of just dehydrate and vacuum seal them for future use...
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by GoToLeep View Post
      What is the best way to handle habs. Dry, fridge, freeze, etc?????? Thanks.
      CAREFULLY! LOL!

You can dry them, but it's my experience you need to slice in half, as the moisture inside will not escape fast enough to avoid molding. I guess ya can freeze too... Oh and wear gloves!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks for the responses. What is the best way to dehydrate/dry them?
        Dan
        AKA "GTL"

Weber 22 1/2" Gold
        3405 GOSM
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the responses. What is the best way to dehydrate/dry them?
          I just did some in the dehydrator. Sliced in half and dried. You do need to do that. And yes, I used gloves. Lol

If you don't have a dehydrator, you can use the oven. Place them on like cookie cooling racks over a cookie sheet. Turn the oven on as low as you can get it to work. Prop the door open with an empty tomato paste can. Something small and non-flammable.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

I agree with everything said...They also freeze very well from my experiences.

Also,let em stay ripe on plant awhile-definetly will bring the beast out in em....

Comment

Like they said cut them in half and dry them that way. I have almost 4# drying now...the smell is amazing!
              You can freeze them and add them to recipies later...the texture will be softer but still the freeze well...

And gloves are for sissies!
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Freak,
                Do you dry them like RowdyRay suggested?
                Dan
                AKA "GTL"

Weber 22 1/2" Gold
                3405 GOSM
                sigpic

Comment

Freak,
                  Do you dry them like RowdyRay suggested?
                  Yup! Cut them and dry them till crunchy dry. Thats best for grinding them into powder. And look out cause that powder is pretty wicked...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah...I put them cut side up...the dry faster that way...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      And gloves are for sissies!
                      Not with the habs. I haven't used gloves with any of the others. Just don't want to pay for it later.

I think Leap was asking if you do them in the oven or dehydrator. I used my dehydrator, cut them in half and put the cut side up too. They dried real fast. Put it all in the food processor. Got some wicked flakes.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                      X