Fridge Pickles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge Pickles

While growing up mom would use the oddball cukes to make what she called, fridge pickles. You know the ones. The ones that looked like light bulbs or got missed and the seeds were too big to make other pickles. Rather than go to waste she made these. This is great for those who don't want to or don't like canning. Or not enough to can.

I don't know that mom ever measured anything, and she did them in a gallon jar, but a 3:1 mixture works for me. Vinegar:sugar. In a quart jar start with:

1 1/2 Cups Cider Vinegar
    1/2 Cup Sugar
    Couple dashes Salt
    Couple dashes Black Pepper

Slice some onion rings and slice the cukes thin. If you like them crunchier, don't peel the cukes. Layer the cukes and onions in the jar until the brine almost runs over. Cover and refridgerate. Give them a shake when you're in there. After about 48 hours the cukes will sink into the brine. Good to go. They'll keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge, if you don't eat them first.

I make some of these every year, but tried something different this time. Added some dried flakes from those hot little peppers I got. Wowee is that ever good. Don't know if I'll ever make them plain again. Most is on the bottom, but you can see one little flake in the pic. Lol. You can use the brine over and add to it too. Thats the third time I added to the cuke one, and looks a little cloudy. If I make any more this year, I'll start over. May try the hab flakes. Hehe. Can you say addicted?

Had a few banana peppers and japs and tried them this way too. I'll be darned. Really good. Didn't add any flakes, but combined, the japs gave the banana peppers a little zing too. No cooking, no sealing. It's simple and another option for your cukes and peppers. Options are good.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

I appreciate this Double R!..... gonna make some!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Pretty much the same recipe my wife uses for her "simple" cucumber salad. I guess she has a simple and a complicated cucumber salad recipe.
      Didn't know it would keep that long though, and I bet the flavor would be better if it sat for a week or so in a jar like that RR. Options rule.

Tom

Comment

I love this stuff!... Thanks Ray!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          Pretty much the same recipe my wife uses for her "simple" cucumber salad. I guess she has a simple and a complicated cucumber salad recipe.
          Didn't know it would keep that long though, and I bet the flavor would be better if it sat for a week or so in a jar like that RR. Options rule.
          Well, in smaller batches they never last very long. But the vinegar pretty much keeps them from spoiling. I made larger batches when the kids were home that might have been in there closer to a month. The cukes will get soggy, but never spoiled.

They're best after about 4 days. If you can wait that long. I remember mom yelling at dad. "Leave the pickles alone. I just put those in there." Lol. He still can't wait when he makes some. These and the creamed cukes are his favorite. He'll eat a bowl of these with a sammy at lunch.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
          X