bbq'd/grilled sweetcorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bbq'd/grilled sweetcorn

No pics (lmao - yep I didn't take pics, who'd believe it lol)

Anyway, corn is bloody expensive over here ad generally it comes peeled, trimmed and vacpacked at between £0.50 & £1.00 per cob.

However my local discount mart had some in with their clothes on for £0.24 yesterday so I got some.
    Could not remember how you lot cooked them (and couldn't be arsed to look online) so I just left them as they were.
    Cooked them indirectly for 30 mins or so and then finished them off over the coals until the leaves went all black and crispy.
    Removed all the leaves and served with a littel melted butter drizzled over.

And the response: 'best corn ever !'
    Seriously it was amazing.

So thanks to y'all - without you lot no way would I have ever tried this :-)
    It's a keeper - assuming I can ever again get fully clothed corn :-)

I did consider taking a pic of the gnawed cobs - but you lot know what that looks like, so i didn't

So my question can you store corn ?
    I was thinking vacpacking and freezing it (with all the leaves on)
    What do you reckon ? would it be worthwhile ?
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

NO PIC!!!!!??? Lol!
    I have never had to store corn... I can't believe its that much $$ over there... sheeesh... this week it was on sale 4 for $1 I thought I read somewhere on here maybe Steve?? im not sure, freezes it after its cooked though I believe... someone will answer ya.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      So my question can you store corn ?
      I was thinking vacpacking and freezing it (with all the leaves on)
      What do you reckon ? would it be worthwhile ?
      We did 10 dozen a week or so ago. Peel the corn and blanch in a pot of boiling water for about 1 - 3 minutes. Remove from boiling water and put into COLD water to stop the cooking. At this point we cut the corn kernels off of the cob and vacuum seal (about 2 cups per bag, but that's just my wife and I). Pop these in the freezer. To use just place in a pot and heat (we usually take it out of the bag but you probably could heat it in the bag in boiling water as well). Keeps almost forever in the freezer, but usually doesn't last the year for us.
      Ron

Weber Smokey Mountain
      GOSM x 2
      Vermont Casting Grill
      Black Thermapen (only color available in these parts)

Comment

Yeah common method there with the blanch. Dunno MIGHT work with "unhusked" corn.. the "clothes" ya refer to... peel back and leave husk on the stem, dip the ears. Chill, and fold the husk back over to freeze. Might be worth a shot.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Dang....when I first got to yer country in 78. I was having corn on da cob @ a party! My British neighbors wanted to know why I was serving cow food! Had some grilled & .....boiled didn't take em long to figure out....TBG......that be good!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I would cut it off the cob. When we freeze sweet corn it is exactly like dino does it. Blanch, soak in cool water, cut off and then I just zip bag it. It does keep along time. I have tried many way's of freezing it raw, right on the cob, and the best way was the method we tried last year. Freshly picked and husked corn, just double wrap in foil and freeze. I have tried the one that gets alot of praise but not by me, is to pick fresh corn, leave in the husk and roll in newspaper, tape up and freeze.

Comment

We froze 400+ ears this year. We put 8 to 12 ears in a big zip-lock, fill with water and freeze. When we want to eat it, we thaw and boil or grill, and it tastes just like it was fresh picked.

Tom

Comment

thanks gunny I like your method.
                And yes we can get cooked sweetcorn kernels - in tins, it's cheap - so no real point going to the trouble of making my own. I wanted the things kept whole and ideally uncooked.

Do you remove the leaves first gunny ?
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

You could can it to.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/corn_kernel.html
                  Rusty Recycled Relics

Comment

every year we buy 5 bushels of sweet corn for a local farmer..we pay about $16.00 a bushel and there is about 65 ears of corn per bushel....all we do is de-husk the corn wrap each indivual raw ear with saran wrap and then put about 8 ears into a ziplock bag and freeze...i have not had any problems doing this and each time we make taste like it came out of the field yesterday....
                    Mike
                    Oklahoma City
                    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                    Weber 22.5 Performer
                    GOSM 3405gw
                    Boomer Sooner Drum
                    Maverick ET-732
                    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

clingfilm and freeze - that could work too :-)
                      cheers
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

My Mom always left the husk on and put a few in a zip lock bag and then freeze. We always thought if you added water it made them mushy when they thawed.
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

right then - leave the clothes on, clingfim and ziplock and freeze. Might vacpack, we'll see.
                          I'll do a few and see how they go :-) (assuming the shop still has them lol)

Cheers folks :-)
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                          X