SV finished brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV finished brisket

I have been wanting to try SV'ing a brisket for a while. I finally had the chance when my local Albertson's had packers for $1.77/lb. I didn't mind experimenting on a $25 chuck of meat. Anyhoo, I grabbed one that was 15+ pounds and commenced to trimming it. This thing has a lot of fat on it. I trimmed a good 2.5# of fat and it still had a lot to keep things moist through the cook.

I gave the brisket a coating of Just Add Beef and let it soak in as I got the Webber ready. I gave it a little more just as I put it on the grill. I used Kingsford Competition briqs and some mesquite chips for extra smoke.

I smoked/cooked the brisket for 4 hours with the grill running ~225°. I did not measure the IT as it was getting finished in the sous vide. It was looking good at the 4 hour mark.

I cut the point from the flat and quartered the flat. I bagged each of the quarters as I planned to pull a bag at 24, 36, 48, 72 hours, but as usual, things didn't go to the plan. I put them in the SV bath at 165°F.

I had the point sitting there looking like it wanted to become burnt ends, so I trimmed it a bit and cut it into chunks and made a sauce from Rudy's clone/Sweet Baby Ray's/and thinned with Guinness Blonde. I tossed the chunks in the sauce and threw them back on the grill to finish. I recoated them every 30 min and left them on for a total of 1:20 or so. They came out great.

The next day I pulled a bag and reserved the liquid from the bag for later use. I didn't quarter with the grain so my slices were not quite ideal, but with how tender the flat was it didn't matter.

I didn't get to pull a bag at the 36 hour mark due to forgetting about it, so I had to jump to the 48 hour mark. The pieces I pulled looked very similar to the 24 hour slices but they were super tender. It was hard to slice as it just fell apart. I didn't wait for the 72 hour mark as this was enough for me.

I know it was a failed execution, but I liked the outcome. The slices at 24 hours were very good and at the 48 hour part it would be like pulled beef. It just melts in your mouth without being mushy. Unfortunately, I did not get any more pics. Too busy eatin!

Thanks for lookin.
    Last edited by AJ; 08-17-2018, 09:27 PM.

Interesting...thanks for the info. I’ll have to give this a run. Gonna need a bigger tub tho
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

What temp did you run your SV rig? Also, how much smoke flavor did you get with a short 4hr smoke time? I have a big family get together smoke coming up this weekend. I'll be doing a chuckie and pork butt for pulled beef & pork. Thinking about using this method as an option to get my timing right. Sounds like 30-48 hrs would be best for pulled meat.
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Looks Awesome, AJ !!!---

So 4 hours smoking @ 225°.

Then 24 hours SV for tender sliced.

And 48 hours SV for Tender Pulled Beef.

SV Temp??? About 132° ??

Did you cool the pieces down before SV or put them right in after Smoking??

Nice Job, AJ !!

Thanks,
        Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Killer Cook!
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I had the SV set to 165°.

I had a decent smoke flavor definitely not overpowering. One of the ziplok bags (I left the vacuum sealer at home) was leaking a little and I could smell the smoked beer scent from the water.

The pieces cooled however long it took me to remove the point and quarter 10 - 15 minutes or so. I might do the next one as pulled beef, ie. smoke for a while then SV for 48 hours, then shred and portion to freeze.

Thanks for the points and kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post

I had a decent smoke flavor definitely not overpowering. One of the ziplok bags (I left the vacuum sealer at home) was leaking a little and I could smell the smoked beer scent from the water.

The pieces cooled however long it took me to remove the point and quarter 10 - 15 minutes or so. I might do the next one as pulled beef, ie. smoke for a while then SV for 48 hours, then shred and portion to freeze.

Thanks AJ !!

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                I could smell the smoked beer scent from the water.
                ha ha, you said smoked beer. Only a forum member would find that funny.

sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Beer ... Beef ... mmm both are good.

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                    ha ha, you said smoked beer. Only a forum member would find that funny.

I seen that and giggled too :{)

Din’t even edit it
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X