Gunslinger's Pickled Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunslinger's Pickled Sausage

My weekend plan had me running the ATV all over the homestead checking fence, automatic waterer's, heat tape, gates, etc, etc, getting ready for cold and freezing precip. Well, it rained all day and kept me in except for doing the daily chores. So since I had the time, I ground up 30 lbs of butts and made 10 lbs each of Polish, Italian and Bratwurst. I planned to smoke the Polish today and pickle it on Monday. Well, it rained me out again, so it got baked and pickled.
    I've never made Polish sausage, or pickled any sausage. Seems to me, when I have bought Polish sausage, it typically had mustard seed. But my recipe did not call for it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't traditional Polish sausage have mustard seed in it? Fry test was very good though.
    I didn't take pics of anything but the canned up sausage. But the color is beautiful. I can't wait to try these, but I'm gonna give it 6 wks.

Four quarts with garlic, onion, banana and jalapeņo peppers. I followed WD's recipe almost to the tee, other than the addition of red pepper flakes and I didn't use food color of any sort.

The only part of this I'm not sure about is not pressure or water bath canning these. I'm a bit nervous about not refrigerating them. Again, I followed WD's recipe almost to the letter. Someone tell me it's OK to leave these out.

Tom

Looks yummy Tom. Let us know how they turn out.

I used a premade seasoning for some a little while ago and don't recall any mustard seed in it. I just search through some saved recipes and only found a smoked polish kielbasa recipe that included mustard seed. No others.

It's in summer sausage, maybe you were thinking of that?
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

Tom they do look good, I can't wait to hear how they turn out... I am afraid I would be quite nervous too about leaving em out... Im sure Steve will help ya with it...

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

gunny this is basically how i did mine i just made a pickled brine and poured over my sausage and put the lid on as it cooled they sealed...i have 2 jars still sitting out on my cabinet its been about 6 weeks maybe hopefully they should be nice and good...

Mike
        Oklahoma City
        22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
        Weber 22.5 Performer
        GOSM 3405gw
        Boomer Sooner Drum
        Maverick ET-732
        Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
        A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

it's okay to leave it out - the vinegar and salt will keep the bacteria at bay :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't traditional Polish sausage have mustard seed in it?
          Hmm, well the made in poland sausage I occasionally buy in the supermarket (due to number of poles in the area the big supermarkets now have extensive polish sections) does not have mustard seed. But the traditional american stuff might.
          Not sure that helps lol

How long you planning on pckling them ?
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I'd do what Mike said. Pour the brine in hot and let the jars seal. Only problem that might occur is the hot liquid could cause the fat in the sausage to render a bit.
            sigpic

GOSM/propane
            UDS (Cam)/lump
            22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
            Weber Genesis/propane
            Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Good job on the pickled sausage, Gunny. I use Rytek's Polish recipe as a guideline and it doesn't call for mustard seed. You'll have some good snacks there in six weeks.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Never had a Polish with mustard seeds. And if that brine is salted and full of vinegar I'd say yer fine. Man those look SPICY! Wheee!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Anything further GUNS on the safety aspect of these sitting out?..... They look great!
                  sigpic

Comment

Uh oh, no salt. I forgot to add the damn pickling salt. The only salt is what's in the sausage recipe. Well, they're in the fridge now. I guess I'll leave them there.

Tom

Comment

Crap! Well..I THINK you'd still be OK. Vinegar's a pretty strong preservative. And I think it is also possible to open, add and re- heat/seal if you wanna go thru that. You can always add a bit to each jar a day or so before consumption if it's a flavor issue too.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Polish sausage ingredients from a polish sausage makers website, they only use salt, pepper, garlic, salt, optional marjoram, and of course cure.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...hot-smoked.htm
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                          Polish sausage ingredients from a polish sausage makers website, they only use salt, pepper, garlic, salt, optional marjoram, and of course cure.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...hot-smoked.htm
                          Thanks. That's pretty much what's in mine.
                          I must have been eating something else. I can't remember for the life of me what the heck it was that had the mustard seed. I know it was fresh sausage though, and I ate a ton of them. But you know how it is. Once you start making your own, you forget about the crap you used to buy. And I haven't purchased fresh sausage from a store or butcher in years.

Tom

Comment

Hell, I'm liable to throw just about anything in mine.
                            Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                              Hell, I'm liable to throw just about anything in mine.
                              You? What about Fishawn? He'll throw anything in his. I'm inspired by him. As good as pineapple goes with ham, I'm dying to try it in sausage.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X