smoked fried chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoked fried chicken

Unforunately I dont have any pics of this, because it was last summer at boy scout camp, but some of the best leftovers I've ever had included fried chicken, mac and cheese, and hash brown casserole done on the offset smoker we brought to camp.

We are one of the only Scout troops that still field cook at our summer camp every year, and with Wednesday being Parents day, we always end up with more fried chicken and sides than we know what to do with come Thursday, since every parent that comes seems to bring a bucket of chicken. Not ones to waste food,we have started a Thursday tradition where we invite our favorite members of the camp staff to help us consume the remainder.

We needed a quick way to heat up all the food, so we chucked it all on the smoker and, just for grins, I threw in a few sticks of hickory. I have never seen boys go through fried chicken like they did! Our scoutmaster had to call the camp a few weeks ago, and the staff is STILL talking about the smoked fried chicken from troop 14. Apparrently, we have started a tradition.

hammerpb
    Avid Meatatarian
    Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

Did it crisp back up, or stay soggy?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      Did it crisp back up, or stay soggy?
      My question also.
      GOSM Big Block
      Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
      Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
      Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

It crisped up nicely. I had to move it around a little bit,because it was kind of piled up, but i was pleasantly suprised. I was expecting it to dry it out a little as well, but it didn't.
        Avid Meatatarian

Comment

so was it kfc? i've thought about this before but never done it. i do know a thawed stouffer's lasagna w/ mesquite rocks.
          brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
          18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
          cast iron Hibachi
          22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
          & rotisserator
          12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
          stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
          Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
          http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
          my music recordings-
          http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Might try it. Gonna have to get a smaller smoker so I can "try" stuff.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by blues_n_cues View Post
              so was it kfc? i've thought about this before but never done it. i do know a thawed stouffer's lasagna w/ mesquite rocks.
              It was a little bit of everything. KFC, Church's, and some grocery store. Don't remember which one. The KFC original recipe was the best IMHO.
              Avid Meatatarian

Comment

i just can't do church's - had a friend that worked there & they wore the same rubber boots(shrimp/fish/barn)in the kitchen... naw i couldn't do it....
                kfc original is just right for the smoker.
                dang now i'm craving popeye's rice & beans.....
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

popeye's..............

Tom

Comment

Cool, like the original once in awhile. May have to try it.

Can't do Popeye's either. Shared an appt. with a buddy of mine outta high school. He managed one. Brought home leftovers every night. Got sick of it.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

that sounds like a winner! how hot was the fire? was it smoke temp or more like indirect heat temp? and then how long approx did it take?
                      My neighbor makes the best fried chicken (well my 5 year old calls it "crunchy chicken") and I would love to try this, oh with Ryans new fried chicken recipe too I bet it would be awesome!
                      thanks for the post!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                        that sounds like a winner! how hot was the fire? was it smoke temp or more like indirect heat temp? and then how long approx did it take?
                        My neighbor makes the best fried chicken (well my 5 year old calls it "crunchy chicken") and I would love to try this, oh with Ryans new fried chicken recipe too I bet it would be awesome!
                        thanks for the post!
                        It was about 250 degrees and Im guessing 2 hours. We were running around doing other stuff (potato salad, beans and such) so I cant remember exactly. Basically, just until everything was hot.
                        Avid Meatatarian

Comment

your talking my talk. I've reheated up mac&cheese, lazona, many more but have't done the chicken deal sounds great!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X