RauchenClark - Welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RauchenClark - Welcome

Welcome to the place RauchenClark. Looking forward to hearing from ya.
    Lots of great folx over here, and plenty of room more more

welcome... he's right... it's all here... and if not... it will be shortly... let us know a bit about yourself...

sigpic

Comment

Wow.. you guys are hitting it like a Bass on a June bug...

Welcome RauchenClark.. Glad to have you here..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Pleasure to have ya here!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thank you, and need some expert advice...

Thanks for the timely and warm welcome! As this is the first time I've ever participated in any kind of internet forum, I have to admit I'm already a bit excited!

I 've been smoking meats and cheeses on my own for the past three years or so. I have a Great Outdooors - Rocky Mountain Series smoker (the taller model, approx. 12" x 12" x 48"). It is propane fired, and it is apparently one of the last "good" quality ones they made, as the newer models I've seen do not have as many vents, or the heavy cast-iron chip box. I smoke year-round here in south-central Ohio, smoking as much cheese as meat in the cooler weather. I also cook on the 221/2" Weber charcoal BBQ Kettle, and have a Reliant pellet grill as well that I use for large cuts of beef primarily.

Generally, I prefer a 50/50 blend of apple and hard maple for cheese, chicken, and pork, and tend to use hickory or mesquite for beef. I have a ready supply of peach wood available to me, but haven't experimented much with it thus far.

I have two initial questions I would like veteran input on:

1) Is sassafras acceptable for smoking, and if so, what items would best be complimented by its sweetness?

2) Would you consider peach to be much different than apple when it comes to the flavor produced?

Thank you in advance for your reply; have a great day.

Comment

I have never used sassafras.. Heres a link to smoking woods and there flavors..

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Welcome aboard. I would think peach would be similar to the other fruit woods. I have never used sassafras. But if you try it please report back with your results.
              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

R Clark, welcome to the site.
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Welcome RauchenClark . Glad you joined us.
                  Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
                  1 Maverick ET-73
                  1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Welcome Rauchen <Smokin'?> Clark! Glad you stopped in!

Originally posted by RauchenClark View Post
                    1) Is sassafras acceptable for smoking, and if so, what items would best be complimented by its sweetness?
                    I would be leery of using Sassafrass wood for this reason <From Wiki>:

[I]The roots of Sassafras can be steeped to make tea and were used in the flavoring of root beer until being banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Laboratory animals that were given oral doses of sassafras tea or sassafras oil that contained safrole developed permanent liver damage or various types of cancer. In humans, such as Spencer Lee Smith (1922), liver damage can take years to develop and it may not have obvious signs.
                    In 1960, the FDA banned the use of sassafras oil and safrole in foods and drugs based on the animal studies and human case reports. Several years later, the sale of sassafras oil, roots, or tea for human consumption was prohibited by law.[citation needed] Subsequently, both Canada and the United States have passed laws against the sale of any consumable products (beverages, foods, cosmetics, health products such as toothpaste, and others) that contain more than specific small amounts of safrole.[/I]

2) Would you consider peach to be much different than apple when it comes to the flavor produced?
                    Hmm have never used peach myself, but sure would be interested in a trial if you'd be so kind as to fill us in on one!

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Richtee; 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I have not used peach, but know folks who have, and they love it. It is a little milder than hickory, and a touch sweeter, to my understanding. Any of the fruit woods are good to smoke with!

As far as sassyfrass, I haven't had access to it, but would try it in a heartbeat.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks for the great input...

Appreciate all the comments. Richtee gave me enough info. via Wiki to convince me to scrap the sassafras idea, (and he obviously has at least a little knowledge of German, Sehr Gut!) I will experiment with the peach wood at my next opportunity, and provide feedback. Also, for what it's worth, if you've never tried them, smoke medium sized, whole red beets, with lots of fresh, course ground black pepper (I use applewood), then serve with goat cheese!! It turns an old, earthy, vegetable into what could darned near be served as a dessert! Guten appetite!

Comment

Appreciate all the comments. Richtee gave me enough info. via Wiki to convince me to scrap the sassafras idea, (and he obviously has at least a little knowledge of German, Sehr Gut!) I will experiment with the peach wood at my next opportunity, and provide feedback. Also, for what it's worth, if you've never tried them, smoke medium sized, whole red beets, with lots of fresh, course ground black pepper (I use applewood), then serve with goat cheese!! It turns an old, earthy, vegetable into what could darned near be served as a dessert! Guten appetite!
                          Wow.. The beet thing sounds great! I love 'em pickled, spiced, simmered... why not smoked! Plus you get to stick yer tongue out at the kids for fun :{)
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Okay Rich, so what's the negatives on sassyfrass? I've heard mixed emotions about it.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

My issue would be the safrole oil, which is the "root beer" flavor. Apparently it is not a good thing to consume. BTW, I think ALL rootbeers have gone to an artifcial flavoring.

Smoking burns wood, obviously, and essential oils in woods will vaporize and contribute to the flavor profile of the smoke upon the food.

So, to me...common sense dictates NOT to use a wood who's oils have been determined to be a health risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X