Got 2 UDS Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got 2 UDS Questions

I've seen pics of several smokers where the builder has extended the air intake up the side of the drum with an elbow and a length of pipe with the valve near the top. like the one in this pic. Does it draw as well as one without the extension?

And my second question is: How was the rod extension fastened to the valve on this smoker? Is it welded on or is there a threaded attacment somehow?

One way or another this fat old boy wants to incorporate one or the other (preferably the valve handle extension) into the UDS I'm currently collecting ideas for and getting ready to build.

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
    Does it draw as well as one without the extension?
    Collective wisdom over at the BBQ Brethren seems to suggest that, no, it doesn't draw as well. But many people do build them that way

I would guess, given my limited experience with thermodynamics (former boiler/dry kiln operator ) that the intake pipe is going to be heated enough by the drum that the air inside the pipe would actually be trying to rise instead of falling which it would have to do in order to have a steady reliable draw. That's just a theory and I've never run mine like that so I can't say for sure.

And my second question is: How was the rod extension fastened to the valve on this smoker? Is it welded on or is there a threaded attacment somehow?
    Hopefully Bubba will reveal his secret on that one.

One way or another this fat old boy wants to incorporate one or the other.
    I'd go with the handle extension but in all actuality, there's not a lot of time spent adjusting the valve during a cook. The UDS is pretty darn stable once it settles in.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Thanks for using my pic as an example! The drum in that picture has a 3/4" ball valve and the air going in to the drum is restricted a bit because of the 90* elbow. The second drum I built utilizes a 1" ball valve and the flow through that is about equal to a straight 3/4" nipple. For best control with this riser set up a
      1 1/2" ball valve would be perfect. The second example you show with the rod going to the valve, the rod is welded to the valve stem. So recommendations, if all you have is a 3/4" ball valve then weld the rod on. If you can't weld then get a big honking ball valve and use the riser pipe. Personally I prefer the set up with the riser as everything is close to the side of the barrel, with the straight shot valve there is just more to trip on. Happy building!

Comment

Working...
      X