10# Beer Snack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10# Beer Snack

There is a local smokehouse that sells "Beer Snacks" which are done in Hog casings & pretty much have the flavor of a mellow pepperoni. I like them (Yeah with Beer) so I thought I would try to re-create something similar.

This is the same cure/seasoning as the Hi-Country Pepperoni stix, but I added Tabasco Jalapeno sauce & Brown Sugar for a little flavor, though still kept it mellow.

50/50 Pork & Beef & stuffed into Hog casings. Smoked @ 120* 130* 140* 150* & 160 with Alder/Hickory/Vine Maple combo. I was aiming for the 152* mark but ended up about 160* (due to my ignorance) then into a cold water bath in the cooler for a few. Then a tast test. They were pretty much what I was shooting for, mellow with good flavor. I would do these again & maybe jack up the heat with some fresh Japs or more Red peps, but wanted something mellow for now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fishawn; 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM. Reason: wrong word
    sigpic

They look great!! Try my olive oil/ paper towel clean-up and see if you get off any black off of the casings. Probably not as much with an mes as my pecan/ charcoal smoke.
    Keith

Comment

I'm love'in it Scott. How many freezers do you have at your house? That has got to be link #206 in 3 weeks Bud. lol All the best...
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Not only does the sausage need a cure, but so does the maker! Scott you got the bug dude.

2 Weber Kettles
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
        Brinkman ECB
        Charbroil 940X
        Project UDS
        Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

I do got the bug, but gonna "kicker down a couple of notches" in the near future.....

Keith, I did try the paper towel & olive oil clean up, but all I got was a shiny sausage......(Insert adult humor here) At least I got a picture to justify my response....
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Fishawn; 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Man do those look and sound good.
            I hope you have stock in whatever price gouging, scum bucket, POS drug company that makes Lipitor.

Tom

Comment

Fish! Do you work work Dude? You gotta lot of time on your hands

Comment

Looking real tasty my friend.
                GOSM Big Block
                Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
                Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
                Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Scott!!!
                  Your killing me smalls... stop it! stop! stop!!!!!
                  Those look famous... send me one.. err I mean some.. while your at it.. a sixer of your best local beer would be nice too!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Looks great Scott! Real nice texture to those links. Another tasty way to add some heat and flavor is to grind up some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce into your mixture. Also, some folks here like to turn the hog casings inside out to eliminate the "veiney" look of the casings.

I going to try polishing my sausage with oil next time, sounds interesting.
                    sigpic

GOSM/propane
                    UDS (Cam)/lump
                    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                    Weber Genesis/propane
                    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

good looking stuff Scott way to go

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Nice work again... and I- like you...need to get some sausage stix for hanging the things to smoke... I did manage 1 hanging batch in the WSM...PITA, but the links did come out without the marks. Minor... but I liked the look better, and that's all that matters, eh? :{)
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sounds great man. Another on the sausage to do list.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Those are some really good looking beer snack sausages. Man Scott...hammer down and the sausage gig bud! Awesome smokes too. That there grinder that ya got is the same one I am waiting for. Should have 'er in about a week. Cant wait ! Seriously sausage smokin' Scott
                            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DINGLE View Post
                              Fish! Do you work work Dude? You gotta lot of time on your hands
                              I am self employed & my last "True Vacation" was over 6 years ago & that was only 3 days off midweek & a 3 day weekend. BUT I can & DO stay up late & function pretty good with minimal sleep.

My run as the "Self Proclaimed Sausage King of my Neighborhood" is over for now though, outta room in the sausage freezer.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X