Clear All

• Ground meat jerky

Up at O-Dark thirty this morning grinding semi frozen venison

spices mixed in and re-ground

getting the racks and jerky cannon ready

start shooting

in the smoker

out of the smoker 8 hrs later

all ready to package. I couldn't resist a sample, it turned out very good. Terriaki seasoning from the Sausage maker

Col. Big Guy

Real nice....never used one of them squirt guns....may hafta try it! Always done the whack it up method.
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I like using ground meat its not as chewey as stringy meat but I love it. nice and juicy not totally rock hard. You can really control the flavour as everything you add stays in the meat. Unlike marinades that most of the flavour is thrown out after the meat has soaked.
      Col. Big Guy

Comment

Nice Work!
        sigpic

Comment

Looks great, Big Guy! Hunting season is just around the corner so I may have to get out my jerky cannon also.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I make it both ways...ones easier and ones better...Dang now I gotta make some jerky...

By the way, Nice job...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Nice job Big Guy. I really like it too. It's different. But good.

I make it both ways. Usually do about 15 to 20 pounds of the ground for deer hunting. I don't come home with any. They also know if they complained, I'd tell them to make their own. Lol
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

That looks a lot better than the ground jerky I made a while back. Mine came out all dried up though I didn't have one of dem squirt guns.

Comment

I sure am glad you posted this Big Guy. I have a jerky cannon and it's been so long since I used it that I forgot I had it.
                  Yee Haw! Jerky shootin' here I come.
                  I've never made or even had pork jerky, but at the $1.50 lb prices of pork loins, I can make jerky from them at half the price of ground beef.

Thanks Buddy!

Comment

Wow, that looks really good.
                    I had some ground meat jerky once that somebody at work made and it was nasty. The texture was disgusting, the flavor was disgusting (very, very salty), everything about it was gross. So I got turned off of ground meat jerky. But your's looks like it would be very good. I may even try that.

Tom

Comment

I'll tell you GS, the stuff I made that I mostly didn't like was a great texture when the thickness of the strip was right. This thread makes me want to buy a jerky gun to get that consistent texture. Frankly the ease of making it with ground meat is what attracted me to trying it. But that lack of proper equipment was a really weak link.

Comment

Nice job on that jerky Big Guy. I never tried ground jerky before. Definitely on the to do list. Kudos...
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        KCBS CBJ

Comment

ooh - ground venison jerky - hell yeah lol
                          You can have some points for putting the thought in my head :-)
                          So far I've just done ground pork jerky (great stuff and real cheap lol)

You didn't get much shrinkage on those either - looks good.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Thanks for the post BG, now I have actually seen the shooter in action..
                            Your jerky looks like it was store bought, I bet it was a billion times tastier!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

BIG GUY I have a few questions on your jerky.

I just got off the phone with a guy from church that wants to make ground jerky with venison and your thread came to mind.

Where did you get that jerky cannon? That looks like a real nice one and will very likely solve the problem I had with dry edges rolling a slab out with a dough roller.

Venison being real lean did that leanness adversely affect the finished product?

Where did you get your seasoning?

What temperature did you smoke them at?

Comment

Working...
                              X