My take on Almonds (Smoked)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on Almonds (Smoked)

Ok, This morning even though I have alot of meat to smoke before winter, decided to do up some Almond's I keep hearing about. I had 3/4 pound in the freezer ( RAW ) I was looking through all the threads about it. Brining, Butter and pam. Well, I remember awhile back looking up roasting salted peanuts online, cause that's one of my favorite foods. It says to boil them with salted water, and then let dry before roasting. A few posts on the almonds said to brine them in cooled saline solution. I remembered the peanut thing I had read about and the reason you boil is to expand the nut allowing the salt to enter. So I made a brine, which was Two cups of water, One Cup Kosher and 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar. When the water came to a boil I added the dry ingredients, and stirred to dissolve as much as possible, then dumped in the almonds and brought this all up to just before a boil and removed, let set for one hour. I think this is a good step, as the salt went into the meat of the nut and not too overpowering. Then layed out on a sheet pan to dry I then put them into pie tin's poked full of holesand off to the smoker. Smoked for 2 1/2 hours at about 230 to 250, Then (BIG MISTAKE) added a pat of butter to each tin along with the sugar/spice mix, one pan was just cinnamon and brown sugar and the other I purchased at an adult store LOL Just kidding.

I have a Nut Roasting Pan, which really is nothing more than a bund't pan, in which a paddle fit's in the center with a crank on top for a constant stirring.

Normally using this nut roaster, it is alot of sugar, 3/4 Cup per pound of nut's and 1 Tbls. of Water which gives it a real good glaze.. And the nuts get a good 1/8th inch candy like coating on them. This is the part I differ from using fat/butter. You only need to use plain ol water to dissolve the sugars to get an even coating on the nuts. So I would say, after smoking them I used about 1/4 cup sugar mix and you would only need a spritz or two of water to get the sugar dissolved and to then again form a candy like coating, which get hard and crunchy, the butter just makes em greasy but it tastes good. My conclusion is the next time I do this will be..

1 Pounds Raw Almonds

Brine.

2 Cups water
    1Cup Kosher
    1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
    Bring water to a boil add Salt and Sugar...............disolve somewhat
    add Nut's and just bring to a boil.
    remove from heat and let rest 1 hour
    Dry on a sheet pan overnight uncovered in a dry place.

Smoke 2.5 hours at 230-250 stirring every half hour
    add 1/4 Cup sugar/spice mix and continue smoking till sugar heats up.
    Add 1 or 2 spritzes of water and stir to coat and smoke for another 15 minutes.

Take out and stir around till somewhat cool and then just every couple minutes afterwords.

These had a nice flavor and I smoked the 2.5 with hickory. But when I added the sugar for another hour switched to mesquite. I just think the coating would be better adhered to the nut a bit more using water.

Last edited by SmokinLee; 09-27-2009, 07:08 PM.

looking GREAT lee.........nice job...........wonder how this recipe would do cold smoked.............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I think the cold smoke would be good. But, I forgot to mention I still wasnt too happy with the coating sticking. So layed it all out on a sheet pan and in the house oven at 300 degrees for 15 minutes, or use that nut roasting pan. And I would do this if cold smoked also. Stirr every now an then 5 minutes lol.
      Last edited by SmokinLee; 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

LOL! great post Lee!
        I spit water all over the keyboard, with the adult store insert! LOL!!
        they look yummy, I love them crunchy too.. I am going to have to try this.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
          LOL! great post Lee!
          I spit water all over the keyboard, with the adult store insert! LOL!!
          they look yummy, I love them crunchy too.. I am going to have to try this.
          PLEASE KELLY.............you keep leaving the door open...........i REALLY try NOT to go thru it...............i REALLY DO !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

LMAO!!
            Your killing me smalls!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

those look real fine Lee!!! where did you get the untoasted almonds from may i ask???
              Charbroil SFB
              GOSM
              MES
              Dutch Ovens and other CI
              Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
              Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Hey Erain, Usually Meijers has them. But these i got out of my dads house freezer.

Originally posted by erain View Post
                those look real fine Lee!!! where did you get the untoasted almonds from may i ask???
                Last edited by SmokinLee; 09-30-2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Gonna have some of these Saturday??
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sorry Man

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Gonna have some of these Saturday??

Comment

Working...
                    X