Just For Fun..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just For Fun..........

I thought I'd try big sourdough pretzels. I have the time after all. I do get to return to work on Monday though, so that's a plus.
    Anyway, I used my sourdough bagel recipe, rolled it out into ropes about 24 inches long and shaped them into pretzels. Now I've never shaped a pretzel in my life, so don't laugh.

Here they are shaped and ready for an hour of "floor time" then it's into the fridge overnight.

I really tried my darnedest to shape these like the ones you'd buy at a bakery. But as you can see, I failed.

Here they are right out of the oven and cooling down a bit. I don't know why I can get these or bagels to brown evenly. I did these on parchment paper and still not even. I thought about brushing with an egg wash. Maybe I'll do that next time or maybe even a pan of water in the oven. If that don't work, I may have to take them to the upstairs kitchen and bake them in the convection oven.

Well, not evenly browned, but that's just aesthetics anyway, right? They sure taste good. I only get half, since I'm diabetic. But you know my family loves me for this kind of stuff. Next time I'll get pretzel salt too. I used Kosher salt here, because it's what I had, and this was a spur-of-the-moment project.

Next, it's Irish soda bread and scones.

Tom

Whaddia mean, failed? Crap... pass the mustard! MMmmMM!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man....a few of them & a cold one be real nice! They sure look good!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        No kidding... mummmm, hot with some port wine cheese for me please!!
        I think when they do the egg wash they put a little vinegar in it as well, give it that "pretzel tang"

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Nice Job Tom. I have made them a few time myself not sourdough though. It wont take long for you to get the bounce and flip/twist all in on fluid motion. I just have to give you...........................

Comment

You are pretty handy around the kitchen there Tom. Is there anything you CAN NOT DO?.... Nice work, I got pretzel envy now.
            sigpic

Comment

Damn fine treats you made there Tom!!
              Keith

Comment

Failed my a$$ those look great.....i really dont know how you do it gunny being diabetic and making all these wonderful breads...i would be into alot of trouble with my endo doc....fortunely i could have a whole one of those with mustard ..i dont have problems with my sugar too much just my insuilin levels are a little high.....gotta give you points bro....
                Mike
                Oklahoma City
                22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
                Weber 22.5 Performer
                GOSM 3405gw
                Boomer Sooner Drum
                Maverick ET-732
                Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
                A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

I think they all look great Gunner. All the best
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Here they are right out of the oven and cooling down a bit. I don't know why I can get these or bagels to brown evenly. I did these on parchment paper and still not even. I thought about brushing with an egg wash. Maybe I'll do that next time or maybe even a pan of water in the oven. If that don't work, I may have to take them to the upstairs kitchen and bake them in the convection oven.

Are you going directly from the fridge to the oven, or are you letting them come up to room temp first? I know when I do yeast rolls, If i refrigerate the dough it won't brown evenly unless I let it come back to at least close to room temp.

BTW these look awesome!!

Have you ever boiled them briefly, like you might do a bagel? It gives it a different, sort of chewy outside.
                    Avid Meatatarian
                    Remember, it's not just a choice, its a lifestyle!

Comment

do the egg wash... maybe some butter... brown up real nice... forget mustard, I want the cheese...

sigpic

Comment

Man-First Bassman and his sourdough cinnamon rolls-then your pretzels..................I put garden to bed for winter and i have some baking to do my friend........

German in me is very jealous.....

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Hook me up with the mustard and a half dozen of them things!
                          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

I like the cheddar cheese sauce stuff with mine. I'd eat a half dozen of those. Nice job. Better than I'd do.
                            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Yup, It's time to get our aprons on LOL I don't have one but I just put a big white Tshirt on when using flour. Let the Baking Begin.

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                              Man-First Bassman and his sourdough cinnamon rolls-then your pretzels..................I put garden to bed for winter and i have some baking to do my friend........

German in me is very jealous.....

Comment

Working...
                              X