Venison Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Bacon

WARNING: This is very addictive and fairly easy to make after the first time making it.

Disclaimer - The photo's and smoke story are from a couple of years ago when I made this batch. Reason I am posting old news is a few have requested that I post the directions and pertinent info in a thread here.

Recipe - http://stores.homestead.com/TCurley/...n%20Recipe.pdf

Seasoning - http://stores.curleyssausagekitchen....%2C/Detail.bok

-And I like adding the taste booster - http://stores.curleyssausagekitchen....ing/Detail.bok In fact I add taste booster to every sausage, hot dog, jerky, etc. recipe I make. The taste booster is inexpensive and does increase to the flavor (IMHO).

I have made and smoked quite a bit of different sausages and different venison products.... This venison bacon is basically a 3 day deal and if you decide to try it; it is better than bacon (IMHO warm or cold).

Day 1
    Here are pic's of the meat being ground, seasonings mixed in and have it loafed up for a nights stay in the fridge; it is a 36 lb. batch.

Day 2

Here is a pic of the loaves taken out of the pans, on the smoker racks just prior to putting them in the smoker.

After the smoke and loafs of meat are brought near room temp, then we let them cool down to near room temp and put in unused grocery store plastic bags and put them in the fridge overnight to chill.

Day Three

Here are a few pic's of the venison bacon sliced and then packaged.

Next is pic of the bacon cooking on a Holland grill. That is our preference, but many fry it right in the pan like bacon; but we cook regular bacon on the Holland also.

Really close to the best part now.....

How does Emeril say it? "Oh ya, that's what I am talking about baby !!!"

Last edited by MossyMO; 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM.
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Mossy ,one of the best post's I've ever seen.to you.And I can testify to the best bacon recipie out there I've been making it for a couple years now since you brought it to our attentionin the past .any one who has 'nt tried it should they wont be dissapointed.
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
      Mossy ,one of the best post's I've ever seen.to you.And I can testify to the best bacon recipie out there I've been making it for a couple years now since you brought it to our attentionin the past .any one who has 'nt tried it should they wont be dissapointed.
      I'm going to try it.

Tom

Comment

I should have metioned in my original post that I have made venison bacon also with buffalo, antelope and elk; all with very pleasing results.
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Thanks Mossy. My detailed post was lost and glad you posted it here. I love the stuff. Hope others give it a try.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Grrrrrrr Shipping is more than the prodect ...

Comment

lol which is why i keep asking what's in the seasoning :-)
              be much easier to just make it ourselves.
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Try it

Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
                Grrrrrrr Shipping is more than the prodect ...
                I agree the shipping is a bit high if you only order one item. The shipping stays about the same if you order more items so just cruise the site and try a few other products, stock up on some sure cure..... This year I placed a larger order and got enough seasoning kits to do 150 lbs+ worth of sausage and jerky. And YES I did get another venison bacon kit. That stuff is super effen good!
                Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Dave

Comment

Simply awesome and thanks for sharing your knowledge!!!!

Comment

Mossy,

Do you use the venison/pork ratio of 13/12 or 15/10 that the recipe mentions?

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan83 View Post
                      Mossy,

Good question, as Curley's recipe use to only read 13/12. I wasn't aware they changed it suggesting 15/10 as an option.

With that said we have always mixed half and half just to make it easier, 12.5/12.5.
                      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Mossy
                        Are you grinding up pork butts for the scrap that you add to the venison or are you using pork scraps from a locker, just wondering, I'm going to try making some of this next weekend, I picked up some butts for .99 Lb., just wondering if the pork butt would be too lean,,,

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan83 View Post
                          Mossy,

I've done it both ways. Didn't notice any difference. Brother tried it 17/8 once and that was too dry. More pork does add to the cost, but it really depends on how much fat you want in it.

Originally posted by 9manfan View Post
                          Mossy
                          Are you grinding up pork butts for the scrap that you add to the venison or are you using pork scraps from a locker, just wondering, I'm going to try making some of this next weekend, I picked up some butts for .99 Lb., just wondering if the pork butt would be too lean,,,

I've been using butts in ours, and it works fine. If you can get some scraps cheap go for it. If it's real fatty just use more venison. Shouldn't be a problem.
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

I smoke mine with apple wood or hard maple/ hickory wood.. It comes out really good!

Blza
                            48" Cabelas stainless steel gas smoker
                            W/ needle valve mod.
                            36" GOSM
                            Brinkmann Pro Series 2500 S.S gas grill

sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah this stuff is darned good... Been eatin alot lately...

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X