Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing with friends!

Hahaha, that sounds nasty don't it?

It was a nasty day, but the friends were great. I got to spend my saturday with some real good friends, some are from this site, some are from a few other sites too. Here is my partners in crime today, the " T-Bonz" rib team.

from left to right thats Smokin Lee, Carl, and the world renound Richtee, crutches and all!

and then theres this guy, he was last years champ. BBQ Bubba!

Bubba competed and vended today, so he was pulling double duty. The crappy weather didn't help his cause much today, but we did get to visit with him more because of the lack of public participation.

Then there is this batch of outlaws.

from left to right is;
    spydermike,Bruce B, Tom from Barvarian smokers, sfisch from "it's the law BBQ", and Tom's wife.(sorry, I don't remember her name)

and then theres the Giggly pig team.

Here is a pic of our ribs before we chose the rack we planned to turn in.

and the results of a hard days work.

another 2nd place ribbon. 2years in a row for Richtee. We missed first by 1 pt. and the Bavarian smoke team was awarded 1st, and congrats also to Bruce B for a 3rd place prize!

I had a really fun time with everyone, especially my team mates. We listened to the football game on the radio, made and shared some abts, a fatty, and many other snacks with the others who were cooking. I picked up some rubbs and sauces from the great lakes BBQ supply company( Bubba) and some of the Mad hunky rub from brother Rich.
    I want to thank my team mates for allowing me to help, and Rich for hobbling around all day so we could once again score a ribbon together. We have been pretty lucky as a team. Every time Rich and I have competed together, we have scored at least 1 ribbon. I hope to keep the streak going next year.

Hope you folks enjoy the pics, and to others who were there, feel free to add yours too. Good to See John and his wife too.
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Wow all turned out well. Congrats on the second place and nice to see you guys had a blast doing it. And nice to see Lee there as well.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    KCBS CBJ

Comment

... ... ... Brotherhood. Congrat Guys.

Comment

Looks like a team I'd like to be a part of...
        or is that apart from....
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Man that had to be a good time.Its nice when you can get together like that. Looked about like our weather hear.And I wish my ribs ever looked like that.
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Great job, guys!

Looks like a good time was had by all.

And way to go Rich, for doing all that while managing the crutches too. That's dedication.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I had a great time hangin out with Dan, Rich and Rich's friend Carl today. Like Capt. Dan said; it was crappy weather, wind and on and off rain with temps in the low 50's.

Capt. Dan brought 10 slabs of spares, So about 8:30 am Rich started expertly trimming, he did 6 slab's and I did 4, and probably took me longer than he did the 6, I had a heck of a time with the membrane with cold wet hands I guess LOL.

Capt. Dan Got the Lang fired up ( ahhh a nice warm fire).

Out of the 10 slabs the plan was to do 3 each with a different rub/sauce/baste/spritz, and 1 experimental slab. After the rubs were on, Dan carfully placed them in the smoker, he had a system to figure out which were which.

Once in the smoker things settle down for a while, so Rich meticulously prepared the turn in box. We just hope the judges don't eat these little peppers Dan brought as a garnish. (they look smokin hot)

After an hour or so it's time to mop and spritz.

We had visitors. It was nice to meet John ( Mich Chef) he and his wife came out for the day. Here he is with Capt. Dan, while Dan is explaining some of the funtions of the awesome Lang Smoker.

Just a shot lookin down the road.

A couple hours in, and lookin good.

The husband and wife team next to us had this smoker, I think it is a backwoods. He said it would just go for 4 hours before you had to do a thing. I guess I have to believe that, because once there rib's were in place we didn't see much of them till we took off some abt's and this best tasting fatty I ever had that Dan made. Everyone that got a slice of it said the same thing. It was that Good. Oh yeah heres there smoker.

Foil time.

Out of the foil and back on the grate.

Along with the rest of them.

We only needed to turn in 6 bones in all. So when they were done we all sample every variety and do a pre judge thing and decide which goes to the judges that count.

Capt.Dan arranging the bone's in the turn in box.

This is a thing of beauty

Well our decision has been made and the box has been turned in, now we wait and wonder. While waiting we start doing the clean up and Dan decides to just mule pull that lang back to his truck. I don't know what happend to this pic, Not like it's sunny out ???

All picked up and awaiting the big announcment. I always seem to do dumb things in flushing. Last year I locked my key's in my truck and this year set I set our garbage bag next to this trash can along with a bunch of others; I might add, but my bag wanted to fall over so rested it against the can. Bad Idea. It was the hot ash can from the smokers. Well it smelled pretty good most all day around there. LOL .........................I'm Green.

Well it is time for the big announcment. We all walk or hobble up to the booth.

Remember the smoker pic that dosn't need attending. They got 1st place.

Here is Rich comeing back from accepting the 2nd place ribbon

Rich's brother's house was on my way home so stopped to see the beast and have a couple beers. He had with him all day 4, approx. 22 pound each cured ham's he did, and was staying there overnight to start the smoke process on these.

I think the wood was a bit damp and was taking a little while to get the beast going. I wanted to get a pic of the beast with the ham's in it but it was getting time to get home. a little persuasion with a crutch.

OK we need reinforcments. This is MarkT with the leaf blower.

It's Alive....

I had a great time today with great people. The first time I met Dan, Rich and Carl was at the same place last year. And I Look forward to doing this with all of them again next year, alot of jokes, laughs, and just BS'n oh and eating too Great job guy's Congrats
              Last edited by SmokinLee; 10-04-2009, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Cool pics.... I just talked to Rich on the phone.. He's just hanging with his hams by the smoker... He said he was kinda lonely... I dont see why.. He had his bottle of Beam..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Great seeing you guys again! As usual. chitty weather and lots of bourbon!
                  This was a lot of fun as it was 7 teams, all GLBBQA members and all winning comp cookers doing a backyard style cook-off!
                  Judges had no idea what hit em!
                  Made a couple bucks vending and finished 4th, 2 points behing Rich. Always the bridesmaid buddy?

Have to get together before the holidays and just cook and drink!

GREAT pics guys, can't believe i forgot my camera!

Comment

Oh yea, I forgot to mention I bought some of rich's rub and from Bubba, a container of Plowboy's Bovine Rub and Yardbird Rub. I tasted all of them and am really looking forward to trying them. Beats the heel out whats his face's . Thank's to both of you. LOL Dan On the title of this post.
                    Last edited by SmokinLee; 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Sweeet looks like a good time was had by all. I'm gonna have to try for next year. I hear Flushing is the only place in Michigan ya can get boiled ribs, and second place ribs in the same stop.

2 Weber Kettles
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
                      Brinkman ECB
                      Charbroil 940X
                      Project UDS
                      Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Friends, fun and smoke! Who could ask for a better time. You guys ROCK!!!

Tom

Comment

Very nice.You all got the brother hood going on.We did top 8 in 3 categories and bombed the 4th today-oh well....Did get a ribbon in chicken...finished 8th of 36....shoulda been way better...Nice weather though....

Nice pics capn-looks like a blast.....

Comment

Nice pics, and good to put some faces to names on here. I really wanted to make it out there today, but time just didn't permit it. Nothing would make me happier than to check out some pro's in action and learn some tips. Not to mention seeing some larger smoking rigs and the variety of them.

So how exactly does a BBQ team work in competition BBQ. Any FAQs around here on that?
                            sigpic

Comment

Looks like you guys had a good time.
                              Rusty Recycled Relics

Comment

Working...
                              X