Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ummm... casings? help!

Ok my sausage heads!
    My grinder should be here by Thursday... its gonna be a long week..
    I would like to be race ready to go by then... any ideas on casings? They very quite a bit.. price, size... what do you all prefer, hog to sheep? for my first go at it.. what would you suggest I order? These have to be ordered online and Im trying to get some here by Thru... thanks for your help in advance!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

For fresh and smoked sausage links I use Hog & Sheep's casing.. For Summer or Salami I use fibrous casings..

Sheep casing you can buy as small as Like Lil Smokey's or breakfast links up to hot dog size.. Hog will be your larger size Brats, Ring

If you have a meat market close to you they should have some casing they sell..

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

The middle sized hogs are the general purpose casing, Kel. Use what ya need, keep the rest in kosher in the fridge for months.

And review the "inside-out" tut from Andy.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hog are about the size of a "typical" Bratwurst, or at least they are around here. I would guess they could vary by manufacturer also?

Sheep are a lot smaller & the ones I got anyway, were pretty stinky

If you get Hog casings, be sure to spend the extra time to turn them "inside out" so your finished product will be perfect. There is a stickY or a link to doing that on here somewhere.

GO GIRL!
        sigpic

Comment

Your first time out I might recommend doing something with hog casings. They are a little easier to work with as they aren't as delicated and prone to blow outs as sheeps casing and just easier to handle.
          sigpic

GOSM/propane
          UDS (Cam)/lump
          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
          Weber Genesis/propane
          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Hog is is then!
            what is knife cut?

Comment

Hog casing in a 32-35mm size will make you a sausage goddess.
              Keith

Comment

Kelly, for a first time, I'd go with LEM casings. They seem to package ONLY quality casings. I've had some pretty bad ones from others. I've bought them by the hank for about 4 years now, but I wouldn't consider that unless you are going to make them weekly or more often.
                What ever salt you use to pack them in, just be sure it's non-iodized.

Tom

Comment

bwhahahahah
                  I found em at our Bass Pro shops out here.. its 30 miles up the road.. but well worth the trip!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                    bwhahahahah
                    I found em at our Bass Pro shops out here.. its 30 miles up the road.. but well worth the trip!!
                    Did you know Johnny Morris (owner of Bass Pro) is from here? We haul most all his concrete, be it for a store or a new residence. He's got more money than Judge Judy and won't take a stand on gun rights at all. He'll sell guns, but he won't support your right to own them. Go figure. I try not to buy from there, but sometimes you just can't get around it. Thank goodness for my FFL. Most outdoor stuff and meat processing supplies, I can get wholesale. I just have to wait a few days.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Pro_Shops

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      Did you know Johnny Morris (owner of Bass Pro) is from here? We haul most all his concrete, be it for a store or a new residence. He's got more money than Judge Judy and won't take a stand on gun rights at all. He'll sell guns, but he won't support your right to own them. Go figure. I try not to buy from there, but sometimes you just can't get around it. Thank goodness for my FFL. Most outdoor stuff and meat processing supplies, I can get wholesale. I just have to wait a few days.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Pro_Shops
                      OH damnit, I did not know that... sheesh.. why, why, why??

Comment

Bbqgoddess
                        What is your first sausage plan? Brat, hotdog, ring, polish, summer sausage, meat sticks, breakfast links,etc. I see you have plenty of help but thought I would add what I use if I knew what you are making first.

Here are some sites I have ordered from -
                        www.butcher-packer.com
                        www.sausagemaker.com
                        www.alliedkenco.com
                        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Kelly, a lot of the bigger sporting goods places have them. The LEM brand is good. It's what I've been using too.

If you have a good butcher shop around ask them. Dad gets hog casings from a butcher at deer processing time. It'll cost you almost 40.00, but there's a ton in there. Usually in real salty water. Won't even freeze in the freezer, but they last for a long time.
                          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                            Bbqgoddess
                            What is your first sausage plan? Brat, hotdog, ring, polish, summer sausage, meat sticks, breakfast links,etc. I see you have plenty of help but thought I would add what I use if I knew what you are making first.

Here are some sites I have ordered from -
                            www.butcher-packer.com
                            www.sausagemaker.com
                            www.alliedkenco.com
                            Marty,
                            Thanks for the links, I know one of them is gonna be brats... the rest are bouncing around in my head at a fast rate of speed...

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                            Kelly, a lot of the bigger sporting goods places have them. The LEM brand is good. It's what I've been using too.

If you have a good butcher shop around ask them. Dad gets hog casings from a butcher at deer processing time. It'll cost you almost 40.00, but there's a ton in there. Usually in real salty water. Won't even freeze in the freezer, but they last for a long time.
                            Yes what I wouldn't give for a GOOD butcher shop... none around here at all.. the last lone one I knew of closed, people just would rather go to a super target and shop than a quality butcher... sigh.. Im pretty sure the words "deer processing" no one around here has heard of unless they are talking about editing a PETA commercial....

Comment

I can't wait to see the results of your work. Remember to put lots of fat in the sausage 25-30% is what I do. Grind and Mix well at near freezing temps to get a good bind then stuff. They will be fabulous
                              Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X