Direct seed planting tip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct seed planting tip.

Although I wont be doing any planting soon, but for some of you it may just be a matter of months. Some people like to start their seeds indoors and others buy plants, but then again some people like to direct seed in their garden and some seeds are just meant to be directly planted like radishes for instance. You can use this for all your direct seed planting.

Cut narrow strips of black and white news paper 1/8 to 1/4 inch wide, how ever long you like.

Mix a paste, using white flour and water. Maybe a Tbls. of flour and a 1/2 tsp. water, enough to make a paste anyway. Put in a shallow bowl.

Place your seeds on a paper plate.

Get a toothpick and dip it in the flour mix and put a dab on your paper strip.

if your toothpick still has some sticky flour on it you should be able to pick up a seed and stick in your dab on the paper.

Space the seeds as you like, and let the strips dry.

When planting time comes and you have your furrow made, just lay the seed strip in and cover. It all breaks down in the soil.

Hell it gives you something to do in the winter time and makes planting alittle quicker come spring.
    Last edited by SmokinLee; 10-06-2009, 08:35 PM.

That's a heck of an idea. Thanks, will pass it on to the wife.

Tom

Comment

Yep-sure makes not thinning radishes etc better.Thanks for the post...

Comment

Great idea, I can use anything that makes life easier. Thanks my friend. Smoke and seeds forever.
        GOSM Big Block
        Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
        Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
        Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Hiya Lee,

I've done that before using paper towel and Elmer's glue. It works great for lettuce, carrots, beets, herbs and flowers. I've also been playing around with 4 ft sections of eave trough, capped on both ends. I fill it with potting soil and plant seeds at the spacing I want them in the garden, then sprinkle vermiculite over them. I put the troughs under my banks of 4 ft shop lights in the basement and keep them misted until the seeds sprout. Come time to plant, I make a furrow in the dirt in my raised bed with a hoe, remove the end caps on the eave trough and slide the whole thing out into the furrow. My 16 raised beds are 3 ft wide by 12 ft long, so 3 trough sections plants one row of plants. What it's really nice for is succession planting when I don't want to plant the whole crop of one kind of seed at once. I start sections 2-4 weeks apart depending on what it is and only plant 4 ft at a time.

Comment

Working...
          X