Ground meat jerky.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground meat jerky.....

Well I tried some last night in the dehydrator (named dee da dee) for the first time...

There were two packages of spices with cure that came with so I used those, one spicy one not... I used regular lean ground beef. The texture of those is ok.. They are similar looking to Big Guys from his thread, but not as smooth looking.. Doing them in the "dee da dee" I was really surprised at the amount of grease that came out.. especially with lean beef...
    I did a batch with ground buffalo, ewe.. the texture is awful it looks very chunky, and I am sure I over cooked them... they bend a bit then they break, snap like a twig...

My question I guess would be regarding the texture, does it need to be finer ground than your basic ground beef from the store? Is that why BG's was so smooth looking?

Thanks in advance!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

I have only made ground beef jerky a couple of times & I liked the texture personally.... Maybe it was a finer grind that I used?.. Buffalo as you know, is very lean & may not make the best jerky?..... Personally, I have never heard anyone rave about Buffalo anything?

You only have ONE MORE DAY and you can grind that burger into oblivion!

sigpic

Comment

I use lean ground from Costco I think it is double ground also when using the dehydrator I will pat them off a couple of times with paper towel.
      sigpicJack

Bradley Original
      Centro Electric Digital Smoker
      Walmart propane upright
      little chief electric
      7 in 1 masterbuilt
      7x7 wood/elec/propane in the works

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        You only have ONE MORE DAY and you can grind that burger into oblivion!

When I walked into BPS... and saw all the grinders/stuffers... I wanted to shoot myself! LOL... Hurry up UPS!! I should be watching the weather channel.... damnit!

Comment

If you can build a tiny fire in your offset smoker( I don't remember her/his name), and keep the smoker temp around 150, it will come out a lot better then the dehydrator. Even if you can get smoke on them for 3 hours, then finish them off in the dehydrator.
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
            If you can build a tiny fire in your offset smoker( I don't remember her/his name), and keep the smoker temp around 150, it will come out a lot better then the dehydrator. Even if you can get smoke on them for 3 hours, then finish them off in the dehydrator.
            Thanks Keith,
            That will be my next plan of attack! I was dying from the smell of the spice pks that came with the liquid smoke smell..

Comment

we have done ground beef jerky for YEARS in the dehydrator..........and the texture/look looks just like some store bought jerky you see around.

and what Jack said, is true..........blot the jerky, helps alot.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

I don't think regular store bought ground beef will make very good jerky. There is just too much fat in it. Even the extra lean GB has too much fat. If you want to use beef I would grind up a trimmed up round roast and go from there.
                Col. Big Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Guy View Post
                  I don't think regular store bought ground beef will make very good jerky. There is just too much fat in it. Even the extra lean GB has too much fat. If you want to use beef I would grind up a trimmed up round roast and go from there.
                  ours is just fine using ground beef.........if you are going to all the trouble of grinding up a round roast, why not just slice it thin, and go from there...

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
                  X