Oyster & Bacon "Fritata"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oyster & Bacon "Fritata"

I was working yesterday @ Westport WA, a small fishing based community port off the Pacific Ocean & picked up some oysters (size small) for me & son #1. This is not really a "fritata" by any means, but my long time buds I hang out with & party with have always eaten oysters on the 1/2 shell, usually around a grill. As we have gotten into our mid 40's we have been getting kinda lazy, so we get the fresh oysters shucked & cook them in a cast iron pan over a fire, grill or range. The "fritata" name came from an intoxicated friend, who said "Is that FN fritata done yet already"? .... thus the name.

So..... Anyways, enough history.... This starts out with butter in the cast iron, then bacon, then the oysters, then Worsteschire (sp?) 1/4 cup beer +/- & Jalapeno Tabasco sauce, Kosher Salt & CBP and cook till they firm up & liquid is reduced. Then pressed garlic & parmesan at the finish & cook until desired firmness. Plate with dice green onions or basil on top for maximum appeal. I thought I had some in the fridge, but did'nt. Anyway's, this has become a tradition with my buddies & thought I would share.

On Edit.... Forgot.... Since this is salmon catching time in this community, as I was driving through the streets of the residential part of this area, I could smell the smoke from smokers doing salmon & saw a few in action. Pretty cool...... I had to get near one of the smokers with my windows down, then close them up real fast for the drive home.... :)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fishawn; 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM. Reason: Oyster Size....
    sigpic

Although I live about 10 miles from the coast I've never been a real big oyster eater.....but that sounds pretty good! Think that might work over rice or noodles??
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Comment

Well...I thought I had eaten oysters in just about every possible way. This is surely original. May hafta try it. I do like them Appalachicola oysters raw!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Scott, your taste buds are raging! What a great combo of flavores and texture. Points to you my friend.
        GOSM Big Block
        Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
        Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
        Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

I got'a say Kudos Fishawn. I definitely got to try this one.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Sweet.The chincoteague oyster are still in season here....If i have time will try this...Thanks for sharing..

Comment

I have also done this with Razor Clams & Chicken (separate of course) & it is really good also. Dip french bread in the leftover broth, or pour the broth & bacon on french bread, or better yet just drink the broth!
              Last edited by Fishawn; 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Nice.
                Can't stand raw oysters but cooked they are good. Smoked even better.

You're right it ain't a frittata - but it is a damn fine oyster and bacon stew :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Never been able to get myself to try an oyster after hearing them described as "a mouthful of snot". That and I can't stand anything that tastes "fishy".
                  What do oysters taste like and what are the fried ones like?

Comment

Scott, hummm that looks delicious! one of my favorite dishes is ciappino.. and
                    that looks very similar.. yum! great post thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                    Never been able to get myself to try an oyster after hearing them described as "a mouthful of snot". That and I can't stand anything that tastes "fishy".
                    What do oysters taste like and what are the fried ones like?
                    Mouth full of snot! lol!! I guess you could say that if your doing an oyster shooter.. which are yummy in a whole different way. Fried you prolly would like them they are firmed up and no mouth full of snot. They don't taste fishy, IMHO. I like to get them fresh, then put them over the bbq when grilling, indirect heat, throw some hickory on the coals, close the lid till they pop open, viola smoked oysters, squeeze of lime and a dash of Tapitio, they are really good. When I make them like that, you have to move fast cuz the kids will eat them all!!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

What Great looking grub, Scott! I could hang 'round with a beer and some whiskey shooters waiting for some 'o that goodness! Thanks for sharing with us.
                      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

oysters

I like em raw , fried and charbroiled.
                        Shuck a dozen for each person and place the oyster back into the deepest half of the shell. Melt a lb or 2 of butter depending on how many dozen you are doing. and add old bay or tonys add 5 cloves per lb of butter finely diced garlic and mix well. also need shredded mozzerella
                        These should be done in a bbq pit over very hot coals or over open flame.
                        place oyster in shell on grill and pour butter mix over oyster to fill shell.
                        Let the oystercook in the butter untill the edges of the oyster start to curl.
                        top w/ cheese and put on trays to serve. the risidual heat will melt the cheese and finish cooking the oyster
                        warning the shells will be hot and they hold the heat well.
                        serve w/ some french bread to soak up the butter.
                        Bob
                        South Louisiana
                        Old New Braunfuls offset
                        Charcol ECB
                        09 MES 40

Comment

Looks excellent Scott!
                          Eman, thanks for the recipe...sounds tasty!
                          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looks real tastey. all the flavors of the sea an oyster has. I should get some, it's been about a year since eating them.

Comment

Scott

That looks awesome i will be at your house in about 3 1/2 hours hope you save me a couple i love oysters great job

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Working...
                              X